The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2009, 05:43 PM

StudentTalksBusiness is on a distinguished road
Default Who are the leading online retailers?

To the Fly Fishing forum community;
I am a business student at Arizona State University and am conducting some research for a project with the intent*to identify the leading online retailers in Fly Fishing.* I would be greatly appreciative if you could help me*answer any of the following questions:

1) Who are the*leading retailers*in the market by revenue (and estimated annual sales)?

2) Which retailers have the best customer service and are most loved by the community (are they the same as in the first question)?

3) What’s the total online market size in annual sales?

4) How many participants are in the category (10k, 100k, 1m, 10m*people)?

5) What’s the next hot product or event*in this market?**

Thank you for your assistance in helping me complete this project.
Kirk (StudentTalksBusiness)
Old 02-25-2009, 05:59 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Who are the leading online retailers?

Here's a link that should help you: CLICK HERE Cabela's and Orvis
might the big boys for online flyfishing sales, but they sell many other items.
You may want to simply contact their corporate HQ, and ask what they do
yearly in online flyfishing sales. Both companies have retail stores, and Orvis
has a huge number of dealers across the country, so you'll have to be very
specific.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Your best bet is to get an Annual Report from the companies you are interested.

Frank
Old 02-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Frank's right, and you could have made it a bit less obvious that you're hoping to get us do your work for you.

You'll want to see annual reports for Orvis, Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, LL Bean. Other major players that may be hard to find info on are Kaufman's Streamborn, The Fly Shop, FeatherCraft, Leland, and Dan Bailey's. There are lots of others, but I think that's all the big ones.

The major industry event is the tackle show for dealers each September in Denver. The latest product innovations are zippered waders, rubber soled boots replacing felt, textured fly lines, and polyethylene drift boats.

Oh, and if you're after a job in the industry, I'd keep looking. I tried during the last recession (mini one- 2002) and there were none to be found. It would be MUCH tougher right now.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:23 AM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

Cabela's breaks down their online sales by department in their Annual Report but they include Fly Fishing with the fishing department. Not very accurate number.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:11 PM

StudentTalksBusiness is on a distinguished road

Thank you for all the suggestions. However, I don't think I was specific enough. I am looking for smaller (somewhere between $2M and $10M a year) niche online retailers in this space, not the huge multi-channel retailers like Cabelas or Orvis. Any thoughts?
Old 03-02-2009, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Browse the ASA site info and statistics section and follow some of the links and try contacting them for info and referrals of people and orgs to contact.
There are some market research firms out there that have the data, and they would know who to contact.
American Sportfishing Association

Another source is Fishing Tackle Retailer, a magazine that includes all kinds of fishing, but might be able to cut some data for you, or give you some leads on who else to go to.
ESPN - February 2009

But ultimately, I think you might be best off trying to design a survey and send it out to a bunch of retailers in your category, with the offer to share a summary of your aggregate results with them, but not identifying responses from individual stores to protect their info. Such a report might be useful for shops to benchmark their results, and should be pitched that way. They should be designed to be easy to fill out but give you the data you need. For the design of the data collection, work backwards from the results you’re trying to get in terms of data displays, to get the questions to ask. You want the actual choices on the data collection to be unambiguous and exclusive ( ie not “Are your annual sales 2-3 million or 3-5 million?” etc where someone with 3 million in sales could show up in two places.)

You might also be able to hunt up potential targets on Hoovers or Dun and Bradstreet using SIC 5941
Description for 5941: Sporting Goods Stores and Bicycle Shops

You may want to talk to the research librarian at the business school to see what subscriptions they might have that could help you drill down to get the info you seek.

A simple google of “fly rod reel line accessories fly tying material” will turn up a gazillion online retailers.

As I’m sure you’re aware there has been massive consolidation in the industry, with large retailers with their own distribution chain carving up a greater share of total sales, and a very difficult competitive environment for small-medium sized shops and larger independents.

Good luck.

mark
Old 03-02-2009, 02:43 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudentTalksBusiness View Post
Thank you for all the suggestions. However, I don't think I was specific enough. I am looking for smaller (somewhere between $2M and $10M a year) niche online retailers in this space, not the huge multi-channel retailers like Cabelas or Orvis. Any thoughts?
Your intent is not to identify the leading online retailers in Fly Fishing but rather identify leading small business online retailers in Fly Fishing. To the common person there may be no difference but to a business student conducting research parameters need to be known. Specifically you are targeting privately owned companies.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:52 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Look at this dealer: Bear's Den Fly Fishing Co.