The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2010, 07:42 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Fellow from across the Pond has asked me a good question, need your help.

Fellow wants to come to 'our side' and fish for Pacific Salmon, and it appears October is the target month.

Can give him lots of suggestions for Oregon, but the PNW is a darned big place. For October, where would you suggest?

Fred
Old 12-11-2010, 11:20 AM

Vans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud ofVans has much to be proud of
Default Re: Fellow from across the Pond has asked me a good question, need your help.

Tillamook bay has four rivers that feed it and host a salmon run. Kilchis, Miami, Trask and Wilson. Lots of potential there.
Old 12-11-2010, 03:00 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fellow from across the Pond has asked me a good question, need your help.

Many thanks! I've passed on the web link for this thread and asked him to join in..

Fred
Old 01-02-2011, 12:20 PM

jabster is on a distinguished road

Hi guys. Sorry it took so long to chime in... First of all a small introduction.

My name is Jari Koski and I'm from Tampere, Finland - a fly fishing and fly casting nut.

Can anyone give me some info on Alaska? fresh salmon with a chance to fish for steelhead/rainbows.?

It maybe that I'll be doing a trip there in the summer and change the fall plans to Vancouver island.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:30 PM

Ian Mann 4 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabster View Post
Hi guys. Sorry it took so long to chime in... First of all a small introduction.

My name is Jari Koski and I'm from Tampere, Finland - a fly fishing and fly casting nut.

Can anyone give me some info on Alaska? fresh salmon with a chance to fish for steelhead/rainbows.?

It maybe that I'll be doing a trip there in the summer and change the fall plans to Vancouver island.
One thing that may solidify your plans is the fact that its a pink year here in the PNW and, just like the last run, record-breaking returns are expected.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:48 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi jabster,

Fishing Alaska is all about being at the right place at the right time. You are asking for a lot if you won't be there long. The best of Alaska's fishing is remote and not easy to reach, especially if you want a variety of fish. So a little more information is needed to help you.

1. Are you thinking about a remote lodge that flies you to a different spot every day for different fish? This is the very best way to fish Alaska but it is expensive

2. Are you thinking a guided trip on the Kenai?

3. Are you thinking about a charter to a remote location and do it your self?

4. Are you thinking about fishing spots that you can drive to?

5. Do you have a budget?

So let us know what you have in mind and maybe we can help you find some fish.

Frank
Old 01-02-2011, 01:38 PM

jabster is on a distinguished road

Hi Frank!

No lodges or fly in fishing. Looking for a place that we could hire a guide for 3-4 days and then fish it DIY. Looking for decent road access, but we're not affraid to walk a mile or two to a good spot.

Fresh salmon is priority number one, but a chance to fish for something else would be a plus.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You guys all know that I will not "Hot Spot' my favorite fishing locations on the open Internet but I have sent the gentleman a PM offering my help if he wants to use it.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-02-2011, 02:20 PM

Exclamation Re: Fellow from across the Pond has asked me a good question, need your help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
You guys all know that I will not "Hot Spot' my favorite fishing locations on the open Internet but I have sent the gentleman a PM offering my help if he wants to use it.

Ard
Now there's an offer you can't pass up!

"Good on You" Ard, "Good on You!!"

Fred
Old 01-02-2011, 02:45 PM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

October is a bit late for most of the salmon in Alaskan fresh water. If you could manage an August trip the silvers will be bright chrome and the numbers will be much higher. October for salmon is generally scratch fishing. As I have said to others wanting to fish Alaska, this place is huge and varied. It depends on where you will fly into that is going to dictate what you will get.