The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Intro and question

Hi Mike,

I am afraid there is no answer to your question. Fly fishing and casting is such a personal thing that choices come down to personal preference. My personal preference may not be the same as someone else. I see people praising a certain rod they like and I wonder, what the heck, that rod is a noodle or maybe a telephone pole. It certainly is not my idea of a great rod. I am sure others have the same feeling about my choices in rods.

So if anyone is looking for the best 9' 5wt rod they need to cast all they can and make their own decision. In many cases todays best rod will not be tomorrows best rod. As we gain experience and knowledge we change or preferences.

Frank
Old 12-13-2010, 02:50 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: Intro and question

Howdy and Welcome Mike!

The best rod ever made is the one you like best... but only for you!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.