The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2009, 03:22 PM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Rod Socks

So my sweet wife got me a Fishpond Dakota rod case for our anniversary. It is sweet. However, I now have another problem. My 6wt 4 piece Sage and my 4wt 4 piece Scott both came with tubes with built-in socks. So I do not have socks for these rods to use when I carry them in the new Fishpond case. I have looked at boh Sage and Scott's website and there is no mention of the availability of just socks. Where do you guys/gals get socks for your rods?
Old 02-26-2009, 03:36 PM

eaglesfn68 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rod Socks

me personally, im cheap so i try to save money any way i can. for a case i just use pvc, it might be heavy but so are rod cases. For a sock just use a old bed sheet or some type of cloth. i mean isnt that what a rod sock basically is. it might not look so hot but hey when your catching fish you'll be laughing
Old 02-26-2009, 03:37 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

Cabela's sells generic rod socks.
Old 02-26-2009, 06:35 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Just about any place that sells rod blanks & rod building stuff will sell the socks.. Try Hook & Hackle.. They have a lot os rod building equipment

Hook & Hackle Fly Fishing Tackle, Fly Fishing Supplies, Fly Tying Supplies and Fly Rod Building Supplies
Old 02-26-2009, 09:15 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

This guy sells fantastic rod socks: CLICK HERE The material will last a
lifetime, and the piping is great. I've ordered several from him, and the shipping is FAST.
Old 02-27-2009, 06:46 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

those rod socks from the rod maker's store (also Results for Rod Bags) are nice. nothing fancy but they look good and work fine.

another source is landmark: Rod Socks quite inexpensive. call ron.

this site offers cool material designs: Bamboo Rodmaking Tips - Store - Rod Bags usually marketed towards the bamboo community, check out the designs and talk to him. many bamboo rod socks are designed to not have a flap so if you want one you may have to order the next size longer.

the charcoal grey socks from pacific bay are very nice and quite luxurious i might add: Rod Cases & Socks : Products : Pacific Bay International

also, you could always make your own from flannel or other soft material from a fabric store.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:43 PM

BigNick is on a distinguished road

I picked up a real soft sock at Bass Pro. It's their brand, White river I think. cost less than $5 bucks. I bought two canvas ones off ebay but they are too stiff. I like the real soft ones that won't scratch the rod.
That's strange about the Sage and Scott cases. Both my Sage and Scott rods came with a rod sock that is not built into the tube. Must be because mine are the older models. I prefer the off brand cases that have compartments built in, makes the whole process simpler. Cabelas sells one but they are proud of it.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:10 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i too like the soft ones. you need to check out the pac bay ones, very soft, but they're a bit more than $5. the thing is, i've never noticed scratches on the 4-5 rods i have in the "canvas" bags. it's actually cotton duck (in landmark's case).

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:09 AM

boone is on a distinguished road

When i built my 2 wt i went to walmart and got about 1.5 yards of a sweat shirt type material for like 3 bucks and sewed it like a rod sock. Looks fine, its nice and soft, and dirt cheap. Just have to have access to a sewing machine.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:05 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I make our own. Really is easy once you get the hang of it. Nice over flap, center ties and a loop toward the top to just flip over....plus you can use material to match your personality.

Click the image to open in full size.

Here is mine:

Here is the old mans: