The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 09:35 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about
Default Plastic Pontoon Personal Watercraft

I have been researching personal watercraft for quite awhile now and cannot decide what I want to get. I want something to use primarily on small lakes and ponds, but want something that could work on slow moving rivers as well. I have come to find out there is no such thing as the perfect personal watercraft for all applications. I really want something I can toss in the back of the suburban or van and not have to buy a separate trailer. Recently I have been considering a pontoon. I have come across the Hobie Float Cat 75 and the Tahoe Fisher. These pontoons have the hard non-inflatable pontoons and look like they might be a good option. The Tahoe Fisher is available from Cabelas and looks an awful lot like the Hobie, but at half the price. Does anyone have any experience with either of these toons?
Old 03-02-2009, 10:29 AM

afishtailtackle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Plastic Pontoon Personal Watercraft

hi, don,t know about the toons, have you considered a kayak?? as far as personal water craft seadoo and so on i have fished alot from mine. they work great and you can go pretty shallow because of the jet pump. it would take 4-6 guys to pick one up and put in the back of a truck. even the 2 seaters are big and heavy. at my boat in mexico, 33 ft its alot of work and fuel to take her out. i use a 8ft avon with a 4hp outboard. i fish the jettys for halibut with it and have been up to 10 miles out to sea and have caught tuna,gaint squid,rock fish and more. it works good and i can put it in or on the roof of my suv easy. even when the seas are bad i always get in safe. the only time i had trouble was when i hooked a huge mako shark. i will post that story it wasn,t funny then but it is funny as hell now. good luck.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:44 PM

qualey99 is on a distinguished road

Txbevo,

I just received my Tahoe last week and assembled it over the weekend. Easy to assemble, and the quality of workmanship appears to be top notch. I floated it in my little 1/4 acre pond behind my house, and it held my @%) lbs without any problems. The oars were a piece of cake and it tracked well. I agree with you that the hobie cat 75 looks just like it, and I can't believe there would be $600.00 difference in the two. I fish out of a 21 ft center console most of the time, but wanted a pond boat.
Old 03-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

TX,

I have a Fish Cat Cougar one man that does well in lakes and will handle our rivers here also. For long range trips I use a Fish Cat 13' two man and haul all the necessary gear and my wife or the dog if she brings the Cougar.

They are inflatables and you need a trailer for the big one. The little one will roof mount if you are brave.

Ard
Old 03-14-2009, 07:01 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice

I have a 9ft. Outcast Fish Cat that I really love. It has a motor mount you can take off if you want. I hardly ever use it. It fits your criteria of throwing in the back of the van/SUV/pickup and would be very usable on ponds and rivers both. I float the SF of the Snake which can be pretty big water sometimes and it handles well. I would suggest getting one you can fish from. My model isn't like that and I just stand on my pontoons, but it would be much safer to have the platforms that the new ones come with. Also, if you plan on using it on rivers at all I would stay away from a hard pontoon, that sounds like a disaster waiting to happen to me.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:12 PM

Dixiejack has a spectacular aura aboutDixiejack has a spectacular aura about

What about a 14' canoe that you can cartop?
Old 03-16-2009, 09:53 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

That Tahoe looks pretty great for what you're after. (and what I need) Hey, how about you buy my Outcast Fishcat so I can buy one of those.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-16-2009, 10:58 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by txbevo View Post
I have been researching personal watercraft for quite awhile now and cannot decide what I want to get. I want something to use primarily on small lakes and ponds, but want something that could work on slow moving rivers as well. I have come to find out there is no such thing as the perfect personal watercraft for all applications. I really want something I can toss in the back of the suburban or van and not have to buy a separate trailer. Recently I have been considering a pontoon. I have come across the Hobie Float Cat 75 and the Tahoe Fisher. These pontoons have the hard non-inflatable pontoons and look like they might be a good option. The Tahoe Fisher is available from Cabelas and looks an awful lot like the Hobie, but at half the price. Does anyone have any experience with either of these toons?

I have been tooning for many years and I think that boat looks pretty cool. Low to ZERO maintenance, no chance for leaks. The right size to stick in the Suburban and ready to go.
Allot of little compartments, plus a rear deck.

I prefer the inflatable because they are easier to stow and to haul, but there is the down time to inflate at the water, but I also have a "LVM" to pump mine up and it is real quick.
Old 03-22-2009, 08:28 PM

Rob11 will become famous soon enough

I have no experience with either craft, but you've piqued my interest in the Tahoe Fisher for still-water fishing. Looks like a great craft for a single fisher, and it definitely provides peace of mind being virtually leak proof; although, I could probably find a way. The fact that it provides a stable fishing platform for safely casting and landing fish is the real eye opener, and at 63 pounds, it's not a heavy package. The frame is aluminum, so corrosion is not an issue as well. All in all, it looks like a good package at a good price. If you have the space for transport (pickup bed), it's likely a winner at that price.