The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 09:41 AM

afishtailtackle is on a distinguished road
Default Shark Report and the dumb ass award goes to??

Click the image to open in full size.hi guys, well i did about 8-10 miles out in the rubber boat. didn,t see much. on the way back in did find the big squid. picked up a few of them, of course i got the water bath when gaffed. lol lot of birds working . i always float a balloon for shark. i keep seeing good size fish , few boils and some passers, they looked like wsb or something. never could get a good look or biter. then the fun starts, i see this huge shark, looks like mako, not a blue go under my rubber boat. i about pissed myself. then 2 mins later the balloon is doing 100 mph. i stick this thing and the fights on. i,m using a 3.0 penn with 50lb and a pacific stik.a boat load of mexicans circling me watching me full bent. so after 2 hrs i get it next to the rubber boat. the boats 8 ft and this thing is a good 3 ft plus over the 8ft. biggest shark i have ever hooked. so i,m thinking i have a hand gaff, i will get the leader, stik this thing and try and tail wrap it. so i get the leader, have the rope ready and i gaff it. this thing comes completly out of the water right at me, bounces off my out board, the tail hits me in the side the head and knocks me to the front of the boat. my little ****ty home gaff comes apart, he takes off and destroys my rod, eyes were popping off and the rod is broke in half, leader and shark gone!! my finger is opened up bleeding all over. so i had no shark, broken rod, bleeding like a 2.00 hooker and a big ass headache. i will get that *******, its not over between him and i untill hes on the bbq!!! i wouldn,t sugguest you try this in a rubber boat. i was a world class speedway motorcycle racer most my life, to many hits to the head has made me a dummy!! lol good luck all. this is the down side of small rubber boats!!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:24 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shark Report and the dumb ass award goes to??

As Roy Shieder said in Jaws " I think you need a bigger boat"
Old 03-02-2009, 11:35 AM

Coloradokid is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FISHN50 View Post
As Roy Shieder said in Jaws " I think you need a bigger boat"
LOL, and bigger rod too as it sounds. A 2 hr fight would be pretty crazy, im sure you were very tired. Thats a crazy story i couldnt imagine trying to land a shark in a rubber boat, but good work for trying!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 11:45 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

1- Question: Did he look at ya with those dead eyes? Like doll eyes?

2- There was an article in a mag that read a while back about guys in kayaks catching makos off the Cali coast then taking a west coast version of a "Nantucket Sleighride". No offense to those who do it, or the originator of this thread, but there is NO DAMN WAY you're gonna get me out there in anything less than a 60ft boat looking for any shark that can go airbourne.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:36 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

That was really a funny story, glad to hear your OK!
Boy does that sound dangerous catching sharks that big in a rubber raft.

Larry
Old 03-02-2009, 12:49 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by axle27 View Post
2- There was an article in a mag that read a while back about guys in kayaks catching makos off the Cali coast then taking a west coast version of a "Nantucket Sleighride". No offense to those who do it, or the originator of this thread, but there is NO DAMN WAY you're gonna get me out there in anything less than a 60ft boat looking for any shark that can go airbourne.
I never believed it before, but it turns out this picture is real !
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:07 PM

well i have been out since then and not found him. my rod was a 40-80 6ft seeker that snaped in 3 places. i have never broken a seeker on a fish, had a few ex wifes brak them for me. lol i,m not sure if i even got a tail rap on him to drag him backwards and kill him that he would have not towed me to another country?? i did have a knife ready to cut the tow rope but didn,t get to that point. after he knocked me down in the boat my couple of fake teeth plate popped out and landed in the chum. it took many clening to get that hokker taste out of my mouth. i will get him. will keep all posted.
Old 03-02-2009, 03:13 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe for the next encounter you should bring a shotgun, if that is legal. In AK the guides would always shoot big halibut before they would bring them aboard. At any rate this sounds dangerous, be careful out there.

Larry
Old 03-02-2009, 03:35 PM

that would be nice, mexico has a no guns or amo law, that don,t want anyone to level the playing feild! lol
Old 03-02-2009, 07:11 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Rip Tide,

That photo reminds me of one of my adventures in Panama. We were installing a communications radio system for the Panama Communications Co. This part of the system had a link from the Island I was on to a banana plantation town on the mainline. They only had one flight a week into the town. I flew over for a meeting but I didn't want to wait a week to get back across the bay. I walked down to the marina and saw several modern boats. I asked about a boat to take me back. Sure thing, "be here in the morning". As I approached the boat slip where we made the deal I saw the fellow I talked to. I started to get into the boat and he said no and pointed to a dugout canoe with a outboard on the back. So we headed out across the bay with about six inches of the boat out of the water. As we approached the reef I noticed big sharks swimming around the boat. The fellow decided he would stop so I could see the reef. I was low enough in the water that I could have touch the fins sticking up right next to my hand. In my broken English I finally got he to take off. Two of the fellows working with me met us at the boat landing. They couldn't believe I came across the bay in that "log". We had a good laugh when I told them about the sharks.

Frank