The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 10:11 AM

Easyway is on a distinguished road
Default How Safe are the Classifieds.

I have bought and sold several hundred items on EBAY. I recently listed a couple of items on the classifieds on this site. Is access limited to members? How safe are they? My experience is if it sounds to good....... I have a guy that wants to pay $25.00 more than list price for a rod, via certified check, after he gets my address, phone number etc. Then wants me to forward to forward the "over payment" to a shipper of his choice. This just does not seem right.

Anyone else have this experience.
Feedback please

thanks
Dwayne
Old 03-02-2009, 10:28 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How Safe are the Classifieds.

Hi Dwayne,
Responses like that are a scam. I've received several such responses (including one this morning), and they are completely bogus. You just
might receive a check of some sort, but it won't be worth the paper it
was forged on. Just do a Google search for "certified check scams".
Old 03-02-2009, 12:22 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Dwayne

I have to agree with Frank. Set yourself up a PayPal account!

Larry
Old 03-02-2009, 01:34 PM

Easyway is on a distinguished road

Thanks guys, I offered this guy Paypal, but he had his "own terms"

thanks again

Dwayne
Old 03-02-2009, 02:52 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

usually the classified on here are very safe but there are always scammers everywhere.
When I get the check scam I give them the address and phone number of my local police department along with a fictitional name. that should get em somewhere...

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:31 PM

BlueDun has a spectacular aura aboutBlueDun has a spectacular aura about

I have run several ads on the classified pages of this forum and have not received any of the scam messages. The people who have replied to my ads have always been willing to use PayPal and usually try to offer less than my asking price rather than overpay. I think that I have not received those same scams because I state in the ads that I prefer payment via PayPal. I'm only guessing, but that is the only difference that I can determine based on a comparison of the ads.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:19 PM

Farnsrocket is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyway View Post
I have a guy that wants to pay $25.00 more than list price for a rod, via certified check, after he gets my address, phone number etc. Then wants me to forward to forward the "over payment" to a shipper of his choice.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyway View Post
I offered this guy Paypal, but he had his "own terms"

I can't believe people still try that stuff!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:58 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Giving the Bounce to Counterfeit Check Scams

The situation is actually getting worse. In one article, Californians lost over
one billion dollars to counterfeit checks last year! USPS money orders, certified checks, and personal checks are all easily counterfeited. There
have been numerous U.S. Congressional hearings on the issue, and the FBI
is stepping up its efforts as the situation escalates.

PayPal is not a sure thing. I received an e-check from PayPal a couple years
ago for an ebay item. Not having seen one before, I called customer service,
and it's a payment made against a person's checking account. I decided to
hold off shipping, and low andbehold it bounced! I called the buyer, and he
was very apologetic, saying that he had not updated his PayPal account, and
that the checking account he had used was closed!!!! He promptly sent a
money order, but I went to the post office to cash those. The post office
has a book of counterfeit serial numbers, and when I asked if they see counterfeit money orders very often, the response was "Oh Yeah."
Old 03-03-2009, 10:44 AM

afishtailtackle is on a distinguished road

hi all my wife is a vp for union banks of ca. i hear so many stories about the check thing. our daughter was going to rent a house last month , they found one and the lady wanted a cash deposit because she had others willing to take it. so i looked up the address and 16 days before it was forclosed on and was bank owned. the so called owner told the daughter she was going to washington the next morning so they had to do this at 11:30 that night. so i called this ***** the next day and acted like i was looking and got the same story except she would be in town and her uncle was the owner. i got all her info to meet her at a shopping mall as she suggested her phone numbers, also car discription and she even gave me the lic. plate number when i asked for it because i said i was color blind and i could find her by car make and lic. i acted desperate and she was greedy as all crooks are . called my uncle who is a cop in that city and she should be in jail as we speak. the old sayin if if sounds to good to be true 99.9 % of the time it is. i like using the forums to sell some products ecause most all the forums and clubs i,m in have never been burned. i did read a guy on bloodydecks.com got burned n some reels from a member
Old 03-03-2009, 11:59 AM

BigSky is on a distinguished road

I always accept any type of payment, even a personal check; but, it is with the caveat that it must clear. I prefer to pay with a money order. In order to accomplish this I tell the seller to hold on to the item as long as he wants until he is satisfied the funds are good. I won't be obstinant. If we can't agree, we go our separate ways without having reached a deal. I also have a personal policy whereby anything I sell on a forum on which I'm a member I always offer a no questions asked money back guarantee. It allows me to sleep at night.