The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2009, 10:38 AM

Pavel will become famous soon enough
Default Montana

I am looking for riverside lodging in Montana and have posted a while back in the rocky mountain forum. I was advised to post here due to a greater amount of readers. The criteria are:
1)within an hour drive of the west entrance or north entrance to Yellowstone National Park.
2)possible horse back riding for the wife
3)fair pricing - and a overall great location for a honeymoon (secluded area would be great)
4)great for wadeable fishing.
5)A river that fishes well in the Sept 20-26th time frame.

Hope that the list is not that much to ask for, but if possible, as many of the listed criteria would be great. Also, I was wondering if you had the opportunity to split the trip up into two different locations, would you? To allow for 3 days in the west yellowstone/Ennis area possibly and the other 3-4 days in the park or anywhere from the North entrance up to Livingston.

Thank you in advance,

Pavel
Old 03-02-2009, 04:17 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Montana

Pavel

Take a look at this link describing Craig Mathews who owns Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone.
Craig Mathews | Fly Fishing

Blue Ribbon Flies is the new outfitter for the Sun Ranch, its on the spendy side, but for a honeymoon what the heck.
The Lodge at Sun Ranch, Cameron MT offers luxury fly-fishing and ranching experiences. Sun Ranch, Montana Fly Fishing, Eco lodge

Also take a look at Kelly Galloup. Here is a link to his information, he owns the Slide Inn on the Madison. His lodging is a lot more afordable for most of us but then it's not a luxury lodge.
Kelly Galloup | Fly Fishing

Slide Inn - Lodging and trout fly fishing on the Madison River

Larry
Old 03-02-2009, 05:21 PM

devon flyfisher will become famous soon enoughdevon flyfisher will become famous soon enough

I have stayed here twice and can't recommend it highly enough.
Just outside Livingston on the road to Yellowstone,2 minutes from the spring creeks.
Horse riding just down the road.
Yellowstone Expeditions Bed and Breakfast
Cheers
Richard
Old 03-02-2009, 09:21 PM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of

Pavel,
I think I replied to you on this already but if not you might want to look into either the 320 Ranch or Lone Mountain Ranch in Bigsky. They both have great horseback riding on site for your wife and wade fishing on the Gallatin both outside the park and inside the park are either out your back door or a few miles away. Chico is another nice place to stay on the Yellowstone and they offer lots of ammenties for your wife with fishing right near the resort. Good luck with your trip.

Biggie
Old 03-03-2009, 05:03 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at the Chico Hot Springs Resort; about 10 miles South of Livingston, MT. They have riding (horse farm on site); a great pool, good meals, friendly relaxed atmosphere, medium priced and you're within 45 minutes of the West Entrance to Yellowstone National Park. Great rivers to fish, including the Yellowstone; about 1 mile away, the Madison, Gallatin and most of the famous streams in Yellowstone: the Firehole, Nez Perce, Gardiner, Lamar and others. We stayed there for a week in the Fall of 2007 and loved it. If we go back out to the Paradise Valley area, we'll definitely stay there again.

I'd cruise on over to George Anderson's web site, go to local lodging and have a look for yourself. Here's the link:

Montana Fly Fishing in Montana's Paradise Valley, fly fishing tackle, bookings with Outfitters and Guides and guides

You can't go wrong in the Paradise Valley, MT. And mid-end September should be good fishing unless the Summer's been rainless and super hot.

Pocono
Old 03-03-2009, 10:19 AM

Pavel will become famous soon enough

Thank you to all who have posted. I was doing some more research and found alot of good reviews for a place called Bar-N-Ranch. I was wondering if anyone had any first hand experience with this place? I am looking at Chico Hot Springs, 320 Ranch, Yellowstone B & B, Sun Ranch and Slide Inn due to these helpfull posts. If anyone has an opinion on splitting the trip up by staying in one area for 3-4 nights and another for 3 nights that would be great as well.

Pavel