The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 04:04 AM

kfisher99 is on a distinguished road
Default saltwater reel drag question

I am trying to fit my 10 wt saltwater setup with a reel with an adaquate drag system that wont cost me a fortune. I was looking at the Lamson Konic 4 and it appears to have the same drag as Lamson's more expensive models around $250-400. My only fear is that it does not have enough stopping power for big saltwater stuff. Does anyone have experience with this reel or can recommend me a reel that can handle large fish that wont cost me a ton. Thanks.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:16 AM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough
Default Re: saltwater reel drag question

Check these out.
Classifieds, Business, Fishing Tackle etc. - The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Old 12-13-2010, 12:36 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Skip the Lamson Konic. I have seen the non-saltwater Lamson model spools pop off their reel frames from having too much pressure exerted on their arbors.

If you really want to have a saltwater reel that will survive the elements and want to save a few bucks, start looking hard for a used Abel (Big Game 4, Big Game 4N, Super 10, Super 11), Tibor (Riptide), or Billy Pate. These reels are time tested and probably have most of the IGFA saltwater fly fishing records. If you have to, sell some of your conventional gear to make it happen.

MP

Add Charleton/Mako to that list. But I wouldn't expect to find one at an inexpensive price.

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 12-14-2010 at 02:59 AM.
Old 12-14-2010, 05:42 AM

shorthaul will become famous soon enough

Add an Abel super 8 to MP's list---Its done very well for me with gelspun backing and a 10 wt line.
Old 12-14-2010, 06:47 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

medalist 1498 stands up for years, have had one for 30 years plus and still going. or the above mentioned reels. for big game I have a medalist 1499CJ anti reverse that I bought some years ago that works on tuna.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-14-2010, 08:14 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

A good saltwater big fish reel will last a lifetime and is much more important than an expensive rod. Weight is not usually an issue for big fish, since blind casting in the ocean is not a very productive fishing method.

I second Mosca's viewpoint, but would add the Tibor Gulfstream and Pacific depending on what you mean by big.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-14-2010, 09:44 PM

kfisher99 is on a distinguished road

Any other places besides here,ebay, and craigslist I can look for good used reels? I cant find anything, they're all brand new.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:53 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandfly View Post
medalist 1498 stands up for years, have had one for 30 years plus and still going.
You can even make yourself a customized drag

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Keep a watch on the eBay for Orvis Odyssey III or IV reels. I have both and they will stop whatever you hook. They sell anywhere from 100 - 175 depending on the demand at the time of sale. You can see one here; http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...el-thread.html Just scroll down on page 1 till you hit the Odyssey IV posted by me.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-14-2010, 11:12 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfisher99 View Post
Any other places besides here,ebay, and craigslist I can look for good used reels? I cant find anything, they're all brand new.
Have you tried calling local fly shops? Some sell used gear on consignment.

MP