The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Blood or Barrel Knot

Hi Everyone,

I just noticed today that the Barrel Knot has become the same knot as the Blood Knot. Since I am older than most on NAFFF I know that in the past the Barrel Knot was not the same knot. They were tied the same except how the tag ends were inserted into the center of the knot. The Blood Knot has the two tag ends entering the center of the knot in opposite directions. The Barrel Knot has the two tag ends going into the center in the same direction.

I assume that over time because most people tied the knot like a Blood Knot, the Barrel Knot has lost its identity. The Barrel Knot is easier to tie on the stream because with both ends coming out on the same side of the knot it is easier to complete. You wet the knot and then stick the two ends in your mouth and pull tight. You can't do that with a Blood Knot.

I wonder how many of you think the Blood and Barrel Knot are the same knot? I prefer the Blood Knot but have never compared the two knots for strength.

Frank
Old 12-13-2010, 10:00 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blood or Barrel Knot

Frank: I'm from the old school, I use the Blood Knot!

I did notice that on the Killroy site they interchange the name, which is kind of weird:
http://killroys.com/knots/barrel-knot-or-blood-knot/

Larry

Old 12-13-2010, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

They were always two different knots to me Frank. I always liked the blood knot because it gave such a nice strait line when done correctly. The barrel knot always seemed to make a little bend on me.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-13-2010, 10:39 PM

smudger564 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to smudger564

Hi Lads, Iv'e always thought they were one and the same knot. My thinking was, the term meant how the knot was formed.

I stand corrected.

Best Regards

Stuart