The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 11:16 AM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough
Default Tippets? Mono or fluerocarbon?

Which do yall prefer? Or is one better than the other or do they each have their time and place?
Old 12-13-2010, 11:25 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Tippets? Mono or fluerocarbon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzenangler View Post
Which do yall prefer? Or is one better than the other or do they each have their time and place?
All I use is fluoro, I want the best edge I can get. Flouro will tend to sink where mono will tend to float, but I normally don't fish small dries anyway. I mostly fish sub-surface (nymphs and streamers) or with big flies (hoppers and chernobyl ants). If you fish highly pressured fish like on tailwaters you will need fluoro to catch fish. On the rare occasion that I fish small mountain streams with small dries, then I switch to mono.

Larry

Old 12-13-2010, 12:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

When Fluorocarbon was introduced I started using it for my level leaders for streamer fishing. You could get a higher break strength with a thinner strand so it made sense. Then I started using it to tip my leaders for dry fly fishing with no problem.

The only thing I noticed was that if you were not careful when making your blood knots and the Orvis knot to the fly they could slip. You have to test the knots well. Also be sure to stick with quality material, I have had several spools of fluorocarbon that were brittle. No way were they what the label said when it came to break strength.

Here I use level Maxima for heavy level leaders and 8 - 10 lb fluorocarbon for trout / steelhead fishing. On the rare dry fly day I use old leaders from my wallet and have no idea what they are, I just test the knots and then fish.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Chris: Ard brings up a good point about fluoro, I've also had issues with some brands of fluoro breaking or knots slipping, I now use Rio Fluoro and have good luck with it.
Fly Lines, Fly Leaders, and Fly Fishing Accessories - Rio Fluoroflex® Plus

Old 12-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I only use Flouro...I have only used Rio, so my experience has only been good as all of Rio's stuff is top notch in my opinion.

After New Years though I've been planning buying the Froghair leader tying kit and begin tying my and my son's leaders to save a little money and to learn about leader design so that I can customise my own. That kit has come with great recommendations from quite a few forum members here so I'm assuming Froghair is excellent quality flouro as well.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:12 PM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

Personally, I don't use fluro. I tried. Didn't like it. My preference in all my fishing is Maxima tippet
Old 12-13-2010, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I should jump on the Rio bandwagon too because it has been good stuff. The brittle brands were all cheap brand X stuff I bought when on the road and selection was not an option.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-13-2010, 03:59 PM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyBum View Post
After New Years though I've been planning buying the Froghair .
Stop Dont Do it Man!
I was at the Denver ISE a few years back and found Froghair for $9 a three tippet pack 5,6,7X I thought I was dreaming. so I plunked down $9 like a kid in a candy store,big grin on my face. Headed to the water and loaded the 5x up and snap,Hum? "moisten the knot with saliva before pulling tight"? Hum?
attempted another ...snap..same result. I could never get it to hold or stay in one piece. So now I use it for eye's on my mysis shrimps and a funky bug I tie.
I too am RIO all the way but not so much on the flouro. Heck all fly's have a ginormus hunk of metal hanging out their rectum. If that don't spoke a fish nothin will.
Always put your toy's away when your done playing with them!
Steve
Old 12-13-2010, 07:02 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Tippets? Mono or fluorocarbon?

As far as Fluro, Seguar is the best I have found. Take it I have only used it for S/W Inshore on conventional,and as a leader for trolling live bait King fishing.
Also have had great success with Pink Ande. I recently received a sample of
OHERO Fluro nice stuff. There 20# is 0.40mm nice supple line.
As far as mono I like the Berkley line. Trying to find a resonable source for Maxima. to give it a try.
Old 12-13-2010, 08:13 PM

joshuanoerr is on a distinguished road

I like mono. I've used the frog hair a lot, and I haven't had any problems whatsoever.

I know I'm addicted