The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 10:41 PM

grandslam is on a distinguished road
Question No Idea!

I am now taking up flyfishing! I will be fishing small streams in western wisconsin and have atrip planned in june for Montana.
I have no idea what line/rod weights are and do not know if I need a 3,4,5etc.
Any recomendations would be more than appreciated.
Old 03-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Idea!

grandslam

Welcome to the sport of fly fishing! Basically, the smaller the species and/or stream the smaller the rod/line size. If I were fishing primarily small mountain streams after brookies for example, a 3 or 4 wt would be my choice. Here in WY I fish medium size rivers and lakes and use a 5 wt fast action rod. I like the fast action to help deal with casting into the wind (and most days early in the summer you will deal with wind). If it weren't for the wind I prefer a medium/medium fast rod, I just like the feel.

On word of caution on your June Montana trip. Last year the Rockies received an above average snow fall and the spring run off lasted into mid-July (except for tailwaters of course). I don't know what your plans are, but run off will impact a lot of rivers. Once you narrow down where your planning on fishing do a google search for fly shops in that area and then give them a call further into the spring so they can give you an idea of what to expect for fishing conditions.

Larry
Old 03-04-2009, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: No Idea!

Hey Grandslam, welcome to the board, and congrats on taking up fly fishing.

A good all around fly rod for trout would be a "5 weight rod" designed to cast a 5 weight line about 9 feet long. A shorter, lighter "weight" rod (meaning the line weight the rod is designed to cast rather than the actual weight of the rod) might be a bit better for real small streams, but a 5 weight will probably be easier to start with-- it'll cast a bit further for you, and will handle a wider range of fly sizes than a lighter "weight" rod. It would also be a a great weight for Montana. You can get fly rods that break down into either two or four pieces, with a four piece rod better for air travel if you fly with it (it can be checked overhead). The gear and lingo can be pretty confusing for some one just starting out, bit we can talk you through a lot of it, and hopefully answer a lot of your questions.

The good news is that you have a lot of excellent choices, at a bunch of different price points, ranging from decent outfits (rod, reel, and line included) from 100-150-175 or so, as well as options to put together your own outfit mixing rod, reel and line from different manufacturers that will run somewhere around 150-220 for a rod, 80-120 for a reel and 40-70 for fly line, more bucks but better quality and performance. And there is a ton of choices for rods and reels at higher price points. But whatever your budget, you'll have a lot of good options, and you'll have a blast. If you want to throw out a rough ballpark I'm sure you'll get a lot of specific suggestions to check out in your price range.

You might want to browse some of the past threads, and the FAQ section on this site for a lot of helpful info, but feel free to ask questions as they come up.

Again welcome to the site.

Mark