The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 10:50 PM

Ronnie z is on a distinguished road
Default Tieing flies

Is it possible to tie better flies whlie listening to music.I use to tie flies in a very quite place ,but lately i find myself tieing flies while listening to some old rock and roll.My question to you experts is it possible to tie flies better while listening to music.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:47 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Tieing flies

Not sure about tying flies in general, but I have done a little reading on music and concentration, and there appears to be a correalation to being able to concentrate and listening to classical music. Specifically Baroque music, such as that composed by Bach, Handel or Telemann, that is 50 to 80 beats per minute. Now, maybe some old rock and roll is in this range as well, not sure about that.

d
Old 03-04-2009, 12:35 AM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about

I have tied flies while watching/listening to races and listening to music from Queensryche. All my flies look the same.. could use help but they still catch fish.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:08 AM

Montcopo is on a distinguished road

I always listen to music while tying. I have been using fly tying as therapy for years. I have been a law enforcement officer for 35 yrs and getting away from the stress is a big plus for me. I relax with music and find tying flies goes hand in hand with that relaxation. I usually listen to soft rock, some blues or Jimmy Buffet.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I'm always listening to music while tying, just letting everything on my ipod shuffle along. Ranges from The Roots, to The Raconteurs, to Ozomatli, lots of Keller Williams, Steve Earle, and even some very cool Appalaichan stuff by Edgar Meyer and Yoyo Ma.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:25 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

I've found an internet music source, Pandora Internet Radio, which you can pretty much program the type of music you like right down to the songs you like. You pick an artist and you get a mix of that artists music and a mix of music that would be similar to your chosen artist. When I know I won't be bothered and am in the mood, my most enjoyable tying is done with my head phones on.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but you have to play the right stuff to make sure you get smooth underbodies, neat heads, correct proportions, proper thread tension and don't trap hackle with untidy wraps.

Dries: Neil Young
Emergers: Albert King
Softhackles: Lucinda Williams
Nymphs: Fountain of Wayne and Lemonheads
Bass/panfish: Queen Ida & the Bon Temps
Saltwater: Stones
Tropical saltwater: Bob Marley and the Wailers

Playing the Dead while tying married wings is a recipe for disaster.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:30 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I always listen to music while tying, especially if I'm tying a dozen of the same
pattern. Tying is fun, but I need some audio distraction. Jazz and classical
guitar mostly, just because my few rock recording are on vinyl .

Hey Cliff, You can't go wrong with Edgar Myers! I saw Myers and Bela Fleck
in concert a few years ago, and it was great. Fleck played quite a bit of
guitar, and they both have quite a sense of humor. Oh yeah, Myers played
piano for many of pieces during that concert.
Old 03-04-2009, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

In Alaska I had my checkering cradle in the family room. This way I could work but still interact with my wife watching TV. This worked very well with football. If something happened I could always look up and see the replay. With any eye oriented activity like checkering or fly tying it is good to look up and focus on something at a distance every once in a while. A football game was just right for checkering and I think would work with fly tying also.

Frank
Old 03-04-2009, 11:54 AM

FlyDog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peregrines View Post
Yes but you have to play the right stuff to make sure you get smooth underbodies, neat heads, correct proportions, proper thread tension and don't trap hackle with untidy wraps.

Dries: Neil Young
Emergers: Albert King
Softhackles: Lucinda Williams
Nymphs: Fountain of Wayne and Lemonheads
Bass/panfish: Queen Ida & the Bon Temps
Saltwater: Stones
Tropical saltwater: Bob Marley and the Wailers

Playing the Dead while tying married wings is a recipe for disaster.

Oasis seems to really get the creative juices going