The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 09:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: loop to loop connection

You're a night owl

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-14-2010, 09:15 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

lol Not as much as I used to be. I usually turn in in about an hour or two. Just a few years ago that would be mid-afternoon.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-14-2010, 09:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

There is no perfect solution to the connection when you get into big fish. I have had Cortland Braids ripped off by Great Lakes Kings, I have had nail knots peeled off my line and I've broken a welded loop on Kings too. You gotta go with whatever you are comfortable with.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-14-2010, 09:36 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Nothings perfect. I have a few lines with the line looped over on the end and then bound with tying thread (I think Frank posted instructions of this a while back) that I had unravel while trying to get un-snagged. I blame myself for possibly not using enough glue on the end. I was still a bit steamed at that one as I lost fly, tippet and leader to the Lake.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-15-2010, 09:58 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of

Caswell's knot to furled leader on all of my rigs. Never had one fail-- granted about the biggest fish I see are 5 Lbs. TOPS.... No (immediate) access to Kings and Steelheads here...

It is not the smallest knot in the world, but it is simple-- and it is by no means 'bulky'. I like that there is only one tag end and it can be 'directed' to a certain orientation.
Old 12-15-2010, 07:54 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Ard,

Quote:
I have had Cortland Braids ripped off by Great Lakes Kings,
If you are talking about the braided mono loops that come two or three in a package, I would never use them. I had the first one I tried fall apart just from casting. After a buddy of mine showed me how to do them myself, I realized the cortland ones were not made properly.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-15-2010, 09:05 PM

blackbear will become famous soon enough

I run a nail knot on all of my trout lines. Steelhead get a braided loop with an "albright" knot using a strand of thin backing...tying it in 2 spots along its length onto the fly line. I also dab each knot with super glue....pretty much full proof and slips through guides easy.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:56 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishngolf16 View Post
. . . I used to cut the loop off and tie on leaders but what I noticed the most was the lack of flotation after cutting the loop off.

A couple of years ago at the Denver Fly Fishing show I stopped at the RIO booth and asked the question about cutting off the loop and flotation of the line. I was told the cutting of the line will introduce more water into the line and flotation will be compromised. This is the only issue with the nail knot technique that I know of. Coy
You can resolve this problem by coating the cut fly line end with Pliobond (or another flexible glue) to keep water from seeping into the fly line core.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:48 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Now for something completely different.

I use a nail knot to secure my butt to the fly line...I like that knot the very best...small profile, strong.

I then tie a very small loop in the tag end of my butt. I then tie my leader/tippet directly to that loop as though it was the eye of a fly..I use the standard clinch...but I do take the leader around the loop twice...to give another strand for strength. It's easy, its fast..it has less drag and is only a method to use if you are NOT using tapered's. I do not use tapered leaders very often at all unless fine dries are the norm for my adventure.

This technique is excellent for nymphing and buggers.
Old 12-17-2010, 11:44 AM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
You can resolve this problem by coating the cut fly line end with Pliobond (or another flexible glue) to keep water from seeping into the fly line core.
Great idea I may have to give the old nail knot another try. Thanks