The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 03:53 PM

bent rod is on a distinguished road
Default Re: loop to loop connection

A dab of super glue will keep water out of your cut fly line.
Old 12-27-2010, 12:23 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bent rod View Post
A dab of super glue will keep water out of your cut fly line.
That's right also; I just prefer a more flexible glue like Pliobond, as it's less likely to flake off under bending stress.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:59 AM

team7x is infamous around these parts

We've found that the following system turns the leader over much more smoothly, no hinging and one leader could last all year.

Cut off any loops and nail knot a piece of 20-25 lb. stiff mono (Maxima is great) to the fly line about 2 1/2 feet long. Touch the knot up with Loon UV-sense. To this you blood knot a 9 foot leader. If you're adding tippet properly, there's little need to change the entire leader. If you must, then simply blood-knot on a new one...no nail knot as the "butt" section is already in place. You'd be suprised at the number of folks who use NO tippet on the end of a fresh leader and after several fly changes wonder why the fly won't drift properly and end up throwing away the leader for a new one.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 01-12-2012 at 06:53 PM. Reason: Removed link to website and directive to visit same.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:50 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

[quote=team7x;377529]
We discuss this system in an archived post.

Who and what is a team7x? I looked all over your website/blog site and can't seem to get any info on what you are?
You answer questions in the plural which further confuses me.
Are you a business, a couple of guys who fly fish and guide on occasion?
It's just nice to know a bit of background on who it is that is offering information via the web.

Last edited by Hardyreels; 01-12-2012 at 06:54 PM. Reason: Removed team7x link
Old 01-11-2012, 12:52 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

A couple of the rods I fish frequently are Wright & McGill/Goodwin Granger bamboo rods from the mid-1940's. The guides on these rods are much smaller than the guides on modern rods, and the leader to line connection must be smooth and small to prevent hang up either coming in or going out through the guides.

I also fish exclusively with furled leaders that I make myself, and I always put a Shorb loop on the butt end of the leader.

The best connection I have come up with, and believe me, I've tried them all, is to first soak about an inch of the fly line tip in acetone for about a minute. Then take your finger nail and scrape the softened plastic off the fly line, leaving about an inch of core exposed.

Then chuck up the fly line in in a fly vise and form a loop of about a half inch in the core. Using a fly tying bobbin and 6/0 uni thread, make 20-30 turns of thread over the loop, taking care to build a "ramp" of thread from the loop back to where the fly line plastic coat starts. Whip finish and put a small dab of super glue on the thread wraps.

Then I loop to loop the fly line loop to the Shorb loop on the leader.

This system gives me by far the smoothest leader to line connection I have come across. Even with the leader three or four guides inside the rods when trying to net a nice fish, I've had fish make a last run and have never had the leader-line connection hang up on a guide.

Conversely, the absolute worst loop to loop connection I have tried is the loop that many manufactures are building into newer fly lines. That thing is way too bulky and hangs up on even my modern fly rod guides. I have no idea what possessed line manufactures to start doing that- are you listening Scientific Anglers?

Chris
Old 01-12-2012, 10:29 AM

team7x is infamous around these parts

FYI a "Blog" is an opinion of the writer (s). One does not need to pass a pre qualifying test or background check as an individual, business, or "couple of guys" or be an "expert" before posting what might be a helpful idea for others. This description is based on real fly fishing experience with a particular leader system, and one that many fly fishing friends use. Take it or leave it. Nothing in your post seems to address the topic of loop to loop connections and alternatives.

Hopefully fly fishing folks will find the blog updates that we post to be useful.
If not, don't bother visiting the site; we won't be offended, trust me!
Drag Free!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Who and what is a team7x? I looked all over your website/blog site and can't seem to get any info on what you are?
You answer questions in the plural which further confuses me.
Are you a business, a couple of guys who fly fish and guide on occasion?
It's just nice to know a bit of background on who it is that is offering information via the web.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:04 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Here is another discussion about "loop to loops" in the "fly line" section.

"Welded" Loops

I agree with Chris that welded loops are too bulky for salt water use, and would not even fit through my trout rods either. The last post in the above thread pictures the connection I use for loop to loops for saltwater connections to backing. Nearly every fish caught will run that connection through the guides - most at a very high speed.

It has to go though the guides without jaming every time, or sections of rod will be out in the ocean, at best. Although I use loop to loop infrequently for the backing connection, I do use it on one reel as spare spools are too expensive.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:24 AM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Ard has provided the simplest method and the one I have used for years, however......

Recently I have been playing with double catch loops made of Cortland or Gudebrod braided monofilament (you can Google "braided mono loops" and get a number of videos showing how to do this). I then feed the end of the fly line into the braided mono and use a 12 turn nail knot using 6# maxima chameleon to secure the end of the braided mono to the fly line. I then dip the whole loop in softex which smooths the whole thing out and seals the end of the fly line to prevent absorption of water (the braided mono also floats very well). Absolutely no hinge and loop-to-loop attachment of mono leaders will not cut the braided mono as happens with welded fly line loops.
Another advantage is the braided mono can be purchased in "HI-Vis yellow" which can then be used as an indicator since the braided mono floats very well.

This is not the simplest method by far but MAY result in a stronger and more long lasting connection. Only time will tell!
Old 01-12-2012, 06:48 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by team7x View Post
FYI a "Blog" is an opinion of the writer (s). One does not need to pass a pre qualifying test or background check as an individual, business, or "couple of guys" or be an "expert" before posting what might be a helpful idea for others. This description is based on real fly fishing experience with a particular leader system, and one that many fly fishing friends use. Take it or leave it. Nothing in your post seems to address the topic of loop to loop connections and alternatives.

Hopefully fly fishing folks will find the blog updates that we post to be useful.
If not, don't bother visiting the site; we won't be offended, trust me!
Drag Free!
Thanks for the kind, considerate answer.
It's easy to tell from your reply which area of the country you hail from.
Oh, and trust me, one visit to your site was far more than enough, thanks.
Old 01-12-2012, 07:23 PM

jhammer has a spectacular aura aboutjhammer has a spectacular aura about

I've had good luck with the braided loops offered by Rio. I've done some strength tests with them and was pleasantly surprised. I also use whipped loops made with 3/0 Uni-Thread and then covered with a couple coats of Pliobond.