The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 06:27 AM

bobbyc21fish is on a distinguished road
Default loop to loop connection

I've known and heard of guys who swear by using a nail knot to connect the leader to fly line. My question is, does it really matter whether you use a nail knot or a loop to loop connection? I guess some guys think that the nail will be less noticable by the fish but I would like to hear some of your opinions and what works best for you.

Bobby
Old 12-14-2010, 06:58 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future
Default Re: loop to loop connection

I never used anything but a nail knot for freshwater fish. Saltwater, for big fish, I use loop to loop as it is a stronger connection which does not need to be re-done very often.

Cheers,
Jim
Old 12-14-2010, 07:40 AM

fishngolf16 is on a distinguished road

Loops are easier and they enable you to switch out leaders quickly. I change up leaders a lot during a day depending on situations and dry vs nymph fishing. I have never noticed much of a difference casting and I used to cut the loop off and tie on leaders but what I noticed the most was the lack of flotation after cutting the loop off.

A couple of years ago at the Denver Fly Fishing show I stopped at the RIO booth and asked the question about cutting off the loop and flotation of the line. I was told the cutting of the line will introduce more water into the line and flotation will be compromised. This is the only issue with the nail knot technique that I know of.

Coy
Old 12-14-2010, 08:30 AM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

I have used nail knots, No Knot eyelets, Eagle Claw line to leader connectors, Cortland leader loops, and have bought some lines with loops already in them. With furled leaders, the only way to go is leader loops, at least as far as I can tell. Personally, I prefer the Cortland leader loops, as I started furling my own leaders and the combination works best for me.

Any method of connection has advantages and disadvantages. You just have to experiment and find the one that works best for you. It will all depend on the line type and weight, species you are targeting, leader type/material/size, and probably a half a dozen factors that I haven't even considered. But my money is still on Cortland leader loops.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:58 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

My new Orvis line came with a welded loop at the terminal end, so I attached my twisted leader with it's loop to the fly line loop. Neither married very well. In addition, the loop in the end of the fly line was quite large and I had trouble with the connection in my guides as it hung up constantly. Now I've noticed that the loop has cracked and now causes a hinged effect which impedes a good casting loop. I feel like I've given this my best effort and will now cut off the welded loop, attach an 18-inch piece of 20lb fluorescent mono via a Nail Knot to the fly line, with a Perfection Loop in the end to which I will affix my twisted leader for a loop-to-loop connection that I have used for years before trying the welded loop. Long answer to a seemingly simple question.

As far as using the mono nail-knotted to the fly line with a Perfection Loop in the end, this is a perfect system for changing leaders during the year, and, believe-it-or-not, the loop-to-loop does not seem to get as hung up in the guides as the fly line welded loop did.

Kelly.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:04 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

At the start of last season I put the loops (Chinese finger puzzle types) on all of my fly lines. They make the last inch or so just stiff enough and the loop/loop knot just enough bigger that I was fighting the line going smoothly through the tip. I cut them all off and nail knotted leaders/fly line-double surgeon leader/tippet. Cut down hang ups at the tip eye (one of my tips was small anyway).
Old 12-14-2010, 12:34 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

After many different trial-and-errors, I started using the Cortland connectors, and they were pretty well. You just have to be very careful when heating the sleeve so you don't effect the fly line. A few quick passes through a flame usually does the trick.

Like a previous poster said, if you nail knot the leader to the line and then want to change leaders, you have to cut the line. If the line is a floating line you've pretty much killed it, as water will start to get into the core of the line and turn it into a sink tip line.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-14-2010, 01:00 PM

db cooper has a spectacular aura aboutdb cooper has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by kglissmeyer1 View Post
My new Orvis line came with a welded loop at the terminal end, so I attached my twisted leader with it's loop to the fly line loop. Neither married very well. In addition, the loop in the end of the fly line was quite large and I had trouble with the connection in my guides as it hung up constantly. Now I've noticed that the loop has cracked and now causes a hinged effect which impedes a good casting loop. I feel like I've given this my best effort and will now cut off the welded loop, attach an 18-inch piece of 20lb fluorescent mono via a Nail Knot to the fly line, with a Perfection Loop in the end to which I will affix my twisted leader for a loop-to-loop connection that I have used for years before trying the welded loop. Long answer to a seemingly simple question.

As far as using the mono nail-knotted to the fly line with a Perfection Loop in the end, this is a perfect system for changing leaders during the year, and, believe-it-or-not, the loop-to-loop does not seem to get as hung up in the guides as the fly line welded loop did.

Kelly.

Right on brother
Old 12-14-2010, 07:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
Like a previous poster said, if you nail knot the leader to the line and then want to change leaders, you have to cut the line. If the line is a floating line you've pretty much killed it, as water will start to get into the core of the line and turn it into a sink tip line.

Nail knot a piece of .21 leader material to the fly line and then place a Perfection loop in it. This is a permanent butt and you just loop the leaders in and out of it.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-14-2010, 09:10 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Ard. I think I'll try that when I run out of those Cortlands. I think I still have a few lying around somewhere.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog