The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 02:40 PM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Utah folks, you need to speak up on Bill 187..

This sounds crazy from where I am! Best of luck to you for shooting down this bill. Hard to imagine those politicians looking tax payers square in the face and proposing outrageous laws such as this. I'm p.o. and I don't live anywhere near.
Old 03-10-2009, 06:57 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Last year the Utah Supreme Court ruled (a guy named Conatser, got busted wade fishing in the Weber River that ran thru private property) that the public has a right to access a river or stream, for legal activity, from public property and fish thru private property as long as he stayed on the stream bed. Since Utah became a state in 1896 the law (according to the USC) has been mis-interpeted.
A Republican Representative wrote a bill that was so outrageous the fishing community took up arms fought it and won. Twice.
This low life tried to hustle the bill in real quick and no one knowing how it was written. Tried to push it through but it failed. 13 amendments and still failed.
There were phoney photos shown to lawmakers, stories by landowners and I'm sure a few fishermen told some stories too.
Some of the b. s. in the bill was if a home was built after May 9, 2009 and was within 500' of the river, one couldn't access the water. There was a list of 14 original waters that the public could access.
Here's a url to the bill. This is the first bill introduced. While I don't condone anyone trespassing, destroying property, fences, littering etc. I think it's good this bill was killed. It'll come back in another form next year, but with the help of a fishermen/women, water users (kayakers etc.) and some cooperation from landowners and the politicians, hopefully a bill that will be better thought out, and worked on from all sides (instead of just landowners) defining streambeds. Because of this **** these guys pulled, I'm voting Democrat locally next elections. I'm tired of the "good ole boy" network, and so are a lot of other people here in the state.
Here's the complete bill as it was written.
Utah Legislature HB0187
Old 03-12-2009, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

It's over until next session. (Hopefully???).
Here is an e-mail I received .

We won, you won! House Bill 187, which rose from the ashes of defeat last week, was killed once again. This misguided legislation would have severely hampered a vital $1 billion river recreation industry in the worst economic climate in decades. Together, we did not let this happen!
This is a huge win for river lovers. Thank you for speaking out against this bill via the phone, e-mail, and face to face visits with your representatives. We heard from many on the hill that this was the best organized citizen lobby effort they had seen this year. Make no mistake, that is why we won.
If you aren't already a member of the Utah Rivers Council, please consider joining today. You can make an online donation at our website:
www.utahrivers.org
or you can send a check to:
Utah Rivers Council
1055 East 2100 South, Suite 207
Salt Lake City, UT 84106

And to those of you who aren't a member of our River Activist Network, if you would like to continue to receive alerts regarding your rivers and the threats and opportunities that arise, please reply to this message and say, Yes, I'd like to be a River Activist.

And finally, if your representative voted "No" on HB187, take a moment to thank them. You can find their contact info here:
www.le.state.ut.us/house/members/membertable1add.asp
No on HB187:
NAYS - 41 Allen Duckworth, S Holdaway Riesen Beck Dunnigan Hunsaker Seegmiller Bigelow Edwards Johnson Seelig Biskupski Fisher, Janice King Vickers Black Fisher, Julie Kiser Wallis Chavez-Houck Fowlke Litvack Watkins Cosgrove Frank Moss Wheatley Daw Greenwood Newbold Wiley Dee Hansen Poulson Dougall Harper Powell Draxler Hemingway Ray Thanks again for all the work you've done, now let's get out there and enjoy Utah's rivers.
Utah Rivers Council: protect, restore, explore.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*