The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 11:10 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough
Default Finally caught my first fish on my fly rod!

Hey all, just thought i'd fill ya in and let ya know i got two hooked this weekend!

i went out with my friend and his pops kayak fishing this weekend, they were recking me with the spinning rods(i didn't catch anything on the spin reel, but i had a feeling in my gut i'd be catching something on the fly pole), but once we found a place to rest, my friend and i broke out the fly rods, my third cast or so i got a hit, i set the hook and pulled in my record perch! two casts later i got guadalupe bass, probably not even a full pound! (this time of year here in texas its rare to get one of these, so i was pleased )

i wish i could share pictures (my first one accidentally got deleted ) and my second one is legit, but its on my phone and i've tried emailing it to me, but nothing!

and for the record i caught both on a white whooly bugger!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:18 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Finally caught my first fish on my fly rod!

Congrats and welcome to the wonderful world of fly fishing!

Larry
Old 03-05-2009, 11:49 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent! Wooly Buggers are a favorite of mine, and for all kinds of fish.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:15 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Mike -

Hey man, congrats on the fish. Good going. It's great when it all comes together, and sticking with it paid off for you. Just think of all the fish out there swimming around with your name on it.

Fish will fear you.

You should retire that fly and save it as a trophy.

Mark
Old 03-06-2009, 02:15 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

You should be able to take the phone to someplace like walmart or other photo place and they can download the photo. They can have a print for you in an hour or so. I keep a cheap 35mm camera with me when I fish because you can't accidentally delete pictures. I like having the negative just in case. Disposables take good photos and if it ends up in the drink there is no big loss. If you get a cheap 35mm with a self timer and a small tripod you don't need another angler to snap the photo. If you look in my photos, the Pike is a photo I shot alone with the timer and a tripod that is about 5" tall. I set it on the roof of my car, hit the timer button, pose, run the fish back to the water.
Old 03-06-2009, 05:05 AM

hairsearnymph is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to hairsearnymph

I usually lay the fish on the ground with my foot next to it for a size comparison! LOL. I agree that a disposable is the way to go. But keep trying to email it you may have success yet!
Old 03-06-2009, 08:14 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Congrats!

d
Old 03-06-2009, 08:42 AM

txbevo has a spectacular aura abouttxbevo has a spectacular aura about

Congrats and may it be the first of many to come!
Old 03-06-2009, 09:22 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Excellent! Wooly Buggers are a favorite of mine, and for all kinds of fish.
I agree, this one is tied on a 5/0 saltwater hook. 30lb Stripers inhale these babies
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 146711.jpg (16.0 KB, 11 views)