The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2009, 08:42 AM

BigNick is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best Inexpensive (<$150)Rod? Link request

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRD View Post
As mentioned before, some wal-marts carry Scientific anglers combos. They are decent for like $80. You get rod, reel, line, and a video. You need to add a leader. Just get the Bass combo as I think it is a 7wt.
I don't know about the combo but I do know that the SA rods(I think they have been discontinued so getting hard to find) are the BEST cheap rods I have ever seen. I have several of the 9' and the 8' 6" and for the MONEY I just don't think they can be beat. They are beautiful little rods, well made, finished and compare very closely in looks to my Sages. These rods can be found(maybe) for between $15 and $30. The 9' is getting very scarce.
These are my go to rods. If I am going on a quick trip(I keep them rigged all the time) I just grab one, throw it in the boat and go. I really love to cast them and don't worry so much about breakage like I do with my high dollar rods.
They are very modrate(medium to full flex) and feel superb. Of course you guys that like the fast action rods won't like them but for newbe's and the cost I don't see why anybody wouldn't like them. I hate to see them disapear and that's why I bought several for back ups. Hey, for $150 bucks you can get 5 or 6 of them. Whats not to like about that? Check them out, you'll be glad you did but you better HURRY.
JMTCW

BigNick
Old 03-12-2009, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRD View Post
As mentioned before, some wal-marts carry Scientific anglers combos. They are decent for like $80. You get rod, reel, line, and a video. You need to add a leader. Just get the Bass combo as I think it is a 7wt.
I don't know about the combo but I do know that the SA rods(I think they have been discontinued so getting hard to find) are the BEST cheap rods I have ever seen. I have several of the 9' and the 8' 6" and for the MONEY I just don't think they can be beat. They are beautiful little rods, well made, finished and compare very closely in looks to my Sages. These rods can be found(maybe) for between $15 and $30. The 9' is getting very scarce.
These are my go to rods. If I am going on a quick trip(I keep them rigged all the time) I just grab one, throw it in the boat and go. I really love to cast them and don't worry so much about breakage like I do with my high dollar rods.
They are very modrate(medium to full flex) and feel superb. Of course you guys that like the fast action rods won't like them but for newbe's and the cost I don't see why anybody wouldn't like them. I hate to see them disapear and that's why I bought several for back ups. Hey, for $150 bucks you can get 5 or 6 of them. Whats not to like about that? Check them out, you'll be glad you did but you better HURRY. Oh yes, they only come in either 5 or 6 wt. but both work best with 6wt line.
JMTCW

BigNick
Old 03-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
They are very modrate(medium to full flex) and feel superb. Of course you guys that like the fast action rods won't like them but for newbe's and the cost I don't see why anybody wouldn't like them. I hate to see them disapear and that's why I bought several for back ups. Hey, for $150 bucks you can get 5 or 6 of them. Whats not to like about that? Check them out, you'll be glad you did but you better HURRY. Oh yes, they only come in either 5 or 6 wt. but both work best with 6wt line.
JMTCW

BigNick
I can't agree that they're quite as great as this poster describes, but they're easily the best rods out there under $50, and cast better than some $150 rods too. I figure SA is using them as a teaser to get somebody to like the sport, so they can start selling them $60 fly lines, and thus they make the rods easy to cast.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-12-2009, 06:49 PM

Wanderingbutnotlost is on a distinguished road

(those aren't weights - those are choices and that face on the icon isn't determination, it's constipation - a rod-jam as it were )

Big Cliff and Big Nick - thanks for the suggestions - it seems like you too both had some of the advice I wanted. I'd like a ready-to-go rod and a nice one - perhaps I'll take both suggestions and run with them!

Peregrines-Mark - The exhaustive answers are extremely helpful. Last summer I was fortunate enough to attend a short seminar that included fly-tying and that is actually what started this whole journey - though I must say it has taken longer to get started than I had expected - I love the tying part! While I won't say it's easy for me - I find it to be fun. In fact, in a month, I'll be starting an 'outdoors club' at school and I've arranged for some anglers to come in a teach the kids how to tie a couple of flies. With any luck we can get a local tackle shop to let us sell some of the kids flies to help support the club. I must say, I'm really looking forward to it!

Having said all of that, these posts have been great food for thought.

Thanks Again!

Keep 'em coming!
Old 03-13-2009, 03:35 AM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
LL Bean is selling Ross Evolutions for $150(+/-$5). I bought several at one of
their retail stores, and don't know if the sale applies to their catalog reels.
Thanks Frank. I will have a look

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 03-13-2009, 11:24 AM

<<I can't agree that they're quite as great as this poster describes, but they're easily the best rods out there under $50, and cast better than some $150 rods too. I figure SA is using them as a teaser to get somebody to like the sport, so they can start selling them $60 fly lines, and thus they make the rods easy to cast.>>

Well Cliffie, I just don't understand your line of thought here. SA has discontinued these rods and a search of SA's products turns up no replacement rod. It's my understanding that they are going out of the rod business. So how can this help them sell lines? Open mouth, insert foot.
I don't think they are GREAT rods or I wouldn't own Sages and Scotts but I do think for the money they are a GREAT BARGIN. I just have a hard time telling a newbie with a limited amount of money to spend to go out and buy a $150 rod when a few of these rods are out there. If he chooses to buy the $150 rod that's ok, I just want him to know his options.

To Wanderingbutnotlost: Do a search on goggle for the rods and I think you will find where others have used these rods to teach kids to fly fish and how good they think the rods are for the money. Just trying to help.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigNick View Post
<<I can't agree that they're quite as great as this poster describes, but they're easily the best rods out there under $50, and cast better than some $150 rods too. I figure SA is using them as a teaser to get somebody to like the sport, so they can start selling them $60 fly lines, and thus they make the rods easy to cast.>>

Well Cliffie, I just don't understand your line of thought here. SA has discontinued these rods and a search of SA's products turns up no replacement rod. It's my understanding that they are going out of the rod business. So how can this help them sell lines? Open mouth, insert foot.
I don't think they are GREAT rods or I wouldn't own Sages and Scotts but I do think for the money they are a GREAT BARGIN. I just have a hard time telling a newbie with a limited amount of money to spend to go out and buy a $150 rod when a few of these rods are out there. If he chooses to buy the $150 rod that's ok, I just want him to know his options.

To Wanderingbutnotlost: Do a search on goggle for the rods and I think you will find where others have used these rods to teach kids to fly fish and how good they think the rods are for the money. Just trying to help.
As I was reading your take, my eyes seem to have glazed over the qualifiers you threw in about good-for-the-price and such and just picked up on the enthusiasm you were using in recommending the rods. And yeah, the fact that they aren't continuing to make the rods would make my hook-a-customer idea bunk. I didn't know they were ceasing production.

However, I would bet that SA is only temporarily going to be out of the rod business until they can find another factory that can produce a massive number of rods that fish well at a ridiculously cheap cost. Or maybe in this economy, 3M is entrenching and trying to focus on their core competencies. who knows.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:53 PM

mcA896 is on a distinguished road

Like someone else said, I hate recommending Dept. stores for fishing gear, but if you go into a Dick's Sporting Goods, look for a Tsunami rod. It's only offered in 2-Piece, 9', 9 WT. Essentially the same rod as a St. Croix, just cheaper cork and a Fuji graphite reel seat instead of aluminum. I had the chance to try out one my buddy has and they cast real nicely, especially for $50. It's a medium-fast action which helps you get the distance needed for SW and has backbone for decent fish. The Dick's near my school only has one and it's been sitting around forever. If I wanted a cheap but tough SW combo I'd buy that and the Pflueger Trion machined reel they sell at the same store, on sale currently for $79.99. Then spend the big bucks on a good line.

BTW, if you go to Bass Pro; The Dogwood Canyon outfit is great for starting out. I bought one last year and still have it, although the rod now seems much too soft. Made learning to cast a breeze though. The whole outfit with reel, line, leader, and backing is on sale at BPS for ~$65.