The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2009, 08:52 PM

Benoduck is on a distinguished road
Default Rio Mainstream Fly Line

Has anyone used or has a opinion on Rio Mainstream floating fly line.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:24 AM

Biggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud ofBiggie has much to be proud of
Default Re: Rio Mainstream Fly Line

Benoduck,
I have the mainstream lines on several of my rods and I have had decent luck with them. One thing I would recommend however is that you use one line size larger on them than what they are rated for. The tapers on the Mainstream lines are a bit on the level end and using a line size heavier will help load your rod. I have used the SA Headstart lines for a long time and I tried the mainstreams because I needed a few lines for my client rods. I needed the lines ASAP and the Rio rep was at a shop I stopped in so he got them for me in a few days. The mainstream lines do not have as heavy of a taper on them, and they are probably closer to a true WF taper. I like the heavy taper on the Headstart lines because they load a rod easier for less experienced casters or on windy days, which we have lots of in Montana. They are not a great line for presenting tiny dry flies but for 98% of the fishing I do they work great. The durability on either the SA Headstart or the Rio Mainstream lines have been awesome over the years. I have had the Mainstream lines on my client rods for two seasons and they are still in good shape after close to 200 days on the water.

Some may think I am a cheap skate for using the lines but I personally believe most of the specialty lines are just that and you are really paying for marketing on the higher end lines. I have had great experiences with the lower end lines and I will continue to use them even with all the hype on the newest and greatest from the line companies.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:35 PM

Tommy Boy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Rio Mainstream Fly Line

I've used the Mainstream as well, and it's not a bad line at all. Although, when I did upgrade my line, I went with the Cortland Precision and there is a considerable difference. But use what you pocket book can afford. Mainstream isn't a bad choice.