The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 06:14 AM

Wanderingbutnotlost is on a distinguished road
kayak fishing tips please

Hey There!

Since I'm a teacher and the summer is rapidly approaching, I plan to spend as much time as possible outside - ideally in my kayak fishing (South West Florida, both salt (ocean and swampy) and fresh water).

In your opinion, what would you say are essential gear items I must have? Furthermore, what items are just nice to have?

As I have minimal gear now, no item should be too small to mention. Often it's the small things that are the most important.

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2009, 06:44 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: kayak fishing tips please

I kayak fish alot and here is a list of what i bring
1-sash wieght for anchor with a retractable dog leash for line
2-pfd
3-I use an orvis sling pack easy access and stores out of the way
4-boca grip instead of a net
5-water proof first aid kit
6-cell in water proof container
7-water bottles
8-snacks in the sling pack
9-multi tool
10-sun block/bug repelant
11-fly rod and gear
12-stored in hatches-rain gear
13-paddle teathered to yak
Old 03-08-2009, 07:41 AM

cargo747 is on a distinguished road

Hand held GPS units are a nice thing to have. If you plan on doing any fishing after dark you need to invest in some lights. I use a head lamp and a clamp on bow light if I'm out after dark. Gear you don't want to get wet put in a good water proof bag or container. Be careful Florida Kayak Fishing is addictive.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:11 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

My list includes:

1. A high back comfortable seat
2. A milk crate which holds a small tackle box, a small cooler and a big fly box
3. Rod holders

Here's a pic of my set up.

Click the image to open in full size.

You can't see it in this pic but I also have a small dry bag attched to the back of the seat that holds my wallet, phone, camera, keys, sun screen, etc.
Old 03-08-2009, 02:01 PM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about

In addition to the items listed above:
waterproof wind-up flash light (no dead batteries)
combo whistle, compass, mirror and water proof match holder
c-light for your PFD
marine portable vhf radio - if you will be away from other people
Old 03-08-2009, 02:21 PM

Thanks for the great replies!

JimW - what poundage is that sash weight? A Boga Grip had not occurred to me as an alternative to a net - I like the idea. The Orvis Sling pack seems like a good choice - I had been eyeing a Maxpedition pack that seems similar but the Orvis is 20 bucks cheaper... Thanks for your detailed list.

Cargo747 - The headlamp is a good idea - I got one for Christmas a couple of years ago and it has sat in my trunk ever since - I'll have to dig it out and check the batteries.

dshort - I especially like the location of the yak. Somehow the brown yak matches the Berber carpeting... . The comfortable seat is high on my list - the last 5 hour trip killed me - we finished off at a nice sandy beach and I got out of the craft and walked hunched over to the picnic area - it was pitiful.

estrother - The signal kit is a good idea. Thanks - I'll have to add that to my list. The waterproof wind up flash light is a good idea here in Fl anyway...

Thanks again for the all of the replies! Again, if anyone reading this has even a tiny crumb of advice - I'm all ears (or eyes as it were).
Old 03-08-2009, 03:42 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a minimalist, but there's a few things I always have.
A PFD that I always wear, a leash on my paddle, a compass, and a bottle of water
Other than that its just my rod, a single fly box, some wire and extra leader material..nippers, pliers, some parachute cord and one of these

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true
Old 03-08-2009, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I would want some kind of Emergency Locater unit. The new SPOT has some good features for $149. It cost $99 a year to use it. A great tool for someone who goes into the wild alone. I wish I had one in Alaska. Would also be good for remote fishing. Operates from a satellite so it works any where in the US.

Frank

Old 03-09-2009, 05:42 AM

kayakangler is on a distinguished road

I've been fishing from a kayak for the past ten years. The key is minimizing the gear you haul with you. Kayaks are space limited. Aside from the essentials needed for kayaking like your paddle, pfd and kayak there are a few other things you need.

Rod and reel
Flies or lures
Container for tackle
drinks, food
safety, survival, comfort gear

Obviously the rod and reel, flies or lures are personal preferences. Your container for your tackle should be small enough that it can be stored in the cockpit with you in a sit inside, on a sit on top easily within reach. I use a William Joseph chest pack. Food and drink again is personal preference but I have found things like jerky, nuts, fruit and plenty of water seem to be all I need to go all day long. I stow my food and other essentials in a small daypack or waterproof duffel that goes under the foredeck, but is easily accessible. In the pack also go knife, lighter and matches, compass, firestarter material, rain gear, sunscreen, whistle, toilet paper, apirin or tylenol, a few bandages and some atibiotic ointment.

Nice to have is a GPS unit, some boga grips or other type of lip gripper or net, and an anchor. I have found using a drift sock works better in the kayak than a regular weighted type anchor.

Kayakfishing is a lot of fun, especially when you get pulled on a Nantucket sleigh ride by some big fish.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:45 PM

Once again, Big Thanks to all of the repliers!

Riptide - (I used to love that show) I like the much lower cost of that gripper (compared to the Boga). It doesn't look like is closes all of the way - has that ever been a problem? I understand that simply tilting the gripper will create nice leverage but still...

Frank - Do you fish in mangrove swamps? I have a GPS with a tracking function... but that SPOT device seems fantastic!

kayakangler - Toilet paper. How could I have missed that one?

This is a fantastic (growing) list. I'll be sure to post what I come up with.

Thanks again!