The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 04:21 PM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough
Default What Do You Look For In A Fishing Spot?

Hey y'all,
I was driving this weekend and saw a couple fishing holes that I thought would be pretty cool to go on a road trip or something that I could try a bunch of spots that I can see.
So I was wondering what you look for in a fishing hole. Like what kind of cover, depth of stream, river, or lake. And I was wondering if you all had any tips for finding good fishing spots.
Kind of a really broad subject... Sorry. Just a random thought

HookEmHorns
Old 03-08-2009, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What Do You Look For In A Fishing Spot?

That's a pretty broad question. What kind of fish are you chasing?

Fish will need places that meet their needs in terms of:

temperature and oxygen Preferred Water Temperatures
Water stratifies, forming layers of different temperatures. In lakes it's often a matter of finding the depth of the preferred temperature, and trying to match it up with contours of the lake bottom. For instance if you know that the temp for the fish you are chasing is 20 feet below the surface in a deep lake, see if you can find a contour edge or hump that comes off the bottom to 20 feet so that the bottom is right at the preferred temp

Food- not only stuff in the stream, but current seams, eddies and mouths of tributaries that carry it, drop offs or points of land in lakes, weed lines in ponds that serve as ambush points. Also look for signs of food, caddis stonefly cases on rocks, stuff buzzing around or on the water, minnows crayfish scooting around. And herons, egrets, king fishers, mergansers, osprey hanging around- although they may be your competition they're there because the fishing is good.

Cover- both as cover from predators and as cover to ambush prey. Undercut banks, water depth over knee high at least, shade trees, deep water along the outside of bends, weed beds in shallow lakes or spring creeks. And if you think of cover as places where food can be easily ambushed, base of water falls, below dams, plunge pools, slopes along rapid changes of depth.

Refuge from current- rocks, holes, blow downs, pools etc. Fish may dart out in fast water to nail things, but they won't generally hold in water faster than you can walk. There may be small depressions or rocks that show up as dips or humps in fast water that can offer a place for fish to hold in fast sections.

Look for the stuff that naturally catches your eye. Rocks, points of land jutting out into a lake, and breaks between different types of habitat or contours--- where a riffle dumps into a pool, where a shoal rises up out of a lake bottom, where a small brook enters a stream and stream/river and river/lake. Changes in bottom from gravel to cobble, rocky shoals in lakes.

If you were a fish where would you be?

mark

PS There is a ton of info out there on reading water in streams, finding fish in lakes, learning different the different types of lakes ("oligotrophic" or deep water, glacier carved lakes usually with fast drop offs to deep water near shore vs "eutrophic" - shallow lakes with lots of weed beds and lilly pads) and different types of streams (spring fed vs "freestone") and preferred habitat for different species, so if you can be a little more specific we could probably point you to more info.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Hookem,

Generally a stretch of non stocked water that just looks fishy. Stuff like alternating current (riffles and runs / pools) and if you can find any Belted Kingfisher's or Great Blue Herons around that means that there are fish there.

I guess I learned to look for animals that eat fish and good water conditions. If that is the case and you find fish you may become a believer in my theory.

HR
Old 03-14-2009, 02:39 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Fish....sorry, couldn't help it. OH, and other people not being there.
Old 03-14-2009, 04:44 PM

Thanks guys, I just didn't really know what to look for in a good spot. I have been around looking, but haven't really found a whole ton of places other than lakes around here. But I guess that isn't too bad... The only part about that is I have a hard time getting to a good spot because I don't have a boat or anything to get around... Pretty bad deal. That is why I asked what everyone looked for, so I know what to look at to get and idea of fish being there.
Thanks guys, and any other ideas would be good if anyone has other ideas as well.
HookEmHorns
Old 03-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hookem,

I failed to ask..................... what kind of fish do you have there?
Old 03-14-2009, 10:15 PM

Dixiejack has a spectacular aura aboutDixiejack has a spectacular aura about

I get topo maps of where I fish and when I luck out I mark it on my map.
Old 03-14-2009, 10:20 PM

Hardyreels,
Here we have bass, bluegill, channel catfish, and some crappie I believe. I think that is about all we have here. Back at home we have all those, and some big grass carp as well. I haven't really been using any specific fly in particular. That is the problem is that I don't know what to really use that much... Oh well, I think I am starting to figure it out.

HookEmHorns