The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2006, 03:53 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough
Default Winter Weather Clothes & Gear

Hey Everyone,
This will be my first winter fly fishing excursion. I wanted everyone's suggestions as to what they use fro winter weather clothes & gear. I'm not a big fan of the cold wind when standing in cold water so I like to dress warm.

The following is what I was thinking.

Underwear (cotton or microfiber)
Silk long johns
fleece pants.
Neoprene socks
Microfiber shirt
fleece pullover
Jacket with windblocker.
Fly Fishing Vest
breathable Waders
Wading boots

Not sure what Hat or gloves would work the best for these situations. All Suggestions are welcomed. If you know of a better system please let me know.

Thanks,
Terry

P.S. Will be in LMFR Friday Night ready to fishing no matter what I have to wear.
Old 01-17-2006, 04:36 PM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Winter Weather Clothes & Gear

Currently my winter ffing attire consists of a pair of baggy shorts and a long sleave t-shirt and a pair of sandles.

If it gets really cold I will wear a wind breaker...

Old 01-17-2006, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Sounds like you'll be very well equipped Terry. If anything, I bet you'll not need two or more of those items.

I would go with wool socks instead of neoprene. Less chance of fit on your foot being too tight and neoprene isn't real comfortable either.

For a hat I'll recommend Fleece, wool, or acrylic in that order. I'd at least want it to offer the option of covering my ears too. Keeping your head warm may negate the need for gloves. As your body becomes cold, its main priority is keeping the brain warm. This can rob some blood that would normally warm your hands and feet. So in a way, a warm noggin-topper can be the best glove ever for fly fishing, as you still have use of your hands.

For gloves, your best buy for your money is fingerless ragg wool gloves. Both wool and polyester fleece will continue to insulate when wet, but neither does so real well. If you do get your gloves wet and still need them for warmth, dry them out as well as you can immediately. Reason being that even though the glove is trying to insulate, any water in it will conduct the coldness of the air through to your skin.

Sorry for the longwinded answer, I think your list will keep you quite comfortable.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

There are two important factors here. The first is to wear wicking materials. Do not wear cotton. Secondly, in this region, you should wear several thin layers of warm clothing so that you can start peeling them off when you start getting too hot. You do not want to break a sweat because of too much insulation. If its cold enough, I'll wear a thin pair of fleece fingerless gloves.

It sound like you on the right path. Good luck!!!

Old 01-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Hey Guys,
I appreciate all the advise. I will put it to good use. I'm off to Academy for some fleece gloves and top hat.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 01-20-2006, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Fish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura aboutFish Bones has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via AIM to Fish Bones

Five Tips For Staying Warm On The River
By Davidson River Outfitters – www.davidsonflyfishing.com

Well, winter has finally arrived. The fishing can still be good, but you can get into real trouble if you are not dressed properly. Here are a few hints to help you stay warm and dry:

1. Dress in layers. this way you can take layers off as the day gets Warmer.
2. Wear fleece or wool; that way if you get wet, you will retain your warmth.
3. Always carry matches or a device to start a fire. I typically carry a railroad flare; it can start a fire even when wet. If you fall in the winter, you have roughly half as long as the water temperature before hypothermia sets in. So if you or your fishing partner falls in, get out on the bank, start a fire to stay warm and dry your clothes.

4. Keep your head and hands warm. Most of the body's heat is lost through the head, so wear a hat or cap. Use fleece or wool gloves with only the fingers that you use, cut out. Most people leave the stream because their hands are cold; a little preventative measure will enable you to fish that much longer.
5. Keep your feet warm, wear heavy wool or fleece socks under neoprene boots, but be sure that they wick moisture away from your feet. If not, the moisture will make your feet cold. Also, be sure to wear loose fitting boots; boots that are too tight will cut off the circulation to your feet.

Some fine weather fly fishers won't even attempt to fish in the winter due to the temperatures. If you dress correctly, then you can stay warm, maybe even get hot, and be able to fish a much less crowded river.

Good fishing! Kevin Howell