The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2009, 11:43 PM

i want to catch fish will become famous soon enough
Default 9wt and 8wt

ok i just bought a mystic 9wt a the fly fising expo couldent beat the deal it was between a 9wt and 7 wt here in michigan and the rod is sweet
i have an 8wt tfo which i love very much i use for steelhead and bass

i have 2 ?s do you think the 9 wt is a little over kill for steelhead and bass

here are the elements i am fising
when fishing for bass its out on lake st. clair and lake huron theres always wind and its very rare its blowning less then 10 and there is always pike and other diff bigger fish roaming around the flatts
now i mainly fish 2 rivers for steel and havent seen many catch one over 10 pounds but there are a few 12s that are in there on adverage its about 5 to 8pounds
and i mosly chuck and duck with an indicator

so sould i stay with my 9 wt for the wind conditons even tho i have and 8 wt or should i go with a 7

thank you
Old 03-09-2009, 08:03 AM

HookEmHorns will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 9wt and 8wt

Hey there,
I think that having a bigger fly rod is a good idea actually. The way I see it, better to have too much than have too little of a fly rod. I don't know how hard steelhead fight, but I know that some bass can be a pain if you let them. And with the wind like you described, which I understand because I have the same problem, I would say that the bigger rod will help you out. I would have a fast action rod so it will make your line speed faster to cut through the wind easier. It can be done with a mid flex as well, but a fast action rod is supposed to have a faster line speed.
Hope this helps, I'm still pretty new to this stuff.
HookEmHorns
Old 03-09-2009, 09:07 AM

i want to catch fish will become famous soon enough

thanks i was thinking on the same lines as you where thank you
Old 03-09-2009, 09:19 AM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

The benefit of having a 9 wt, isnt that you can catch bigger fish than you can with 7 wt, the benefit is you can throw huge fly's with ease with the 9 wt. Plus the 9 wt would be a better weapon to have on windy days.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:14 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

On windy days, have you tried throwing a 9WT line on your 8WT rod? I fish 9WT's all the time in saltwater and I find that overlining the rod on a windy day is more effective than a step up in rod size.