The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2009, 08:22 AM

jaysun23 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Newbie looking for a reel recommendation please

Thanks Eric. I was looking mostly at the $30-$65 price range. Color wasn't important as I'm not sure what difference color makes when using a 9' leader. The main complaint on most of the ones I looked at was that the tip sinks. Not sure if this is common or not, but seems to defeat the purpose of having a floating line.
Old 03-11-2009, 10:44 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

we're just a bunch of anal complainers sometimes... and it gets worse with flyfishing experience. lol

the main culprit i've read about when it comes to sinking tips is the cortland SYLK which is a GREAT line for small stream medium or medium fast rods. it seems the main problem with that line comes from cutting off the end loop and using a nail knot to connect the leader. it allows water to "get in" the end of the line. this "problem" seemed to manifest itself with the first production runs of the line, i read less so now. the workaround, if true, is to USE the end loop. i cut mine off and didn't have any serious problems with sinking tips. experiences vary. this may be the solution for other lines as well. but i have not read anything about tips sinking with the other lines though i do not use the.

i haven't read about sinking tip problems with any of the lines i suggested and they all fall in the price range you're interested in. and i note, you include both mid range as well as premium, so it seems price is not an issue. i think usually a tip sinks a bit because it gets dirty. part of the skill is to keep your tackle clean. not much cheating around that issue. if moss or algae gets on the connection knots, keep an eye out for it and clean it off. and you have to ask, what type of sinking occurs. my experience with the sylk was the front foot or 2 would sink maybe an inch underwater. we're not talking depth charge action to the streambed.

color is a big controversial topic. if you believe stealth matters to the point of line color, then you want something subdued like olive. if you have bad eye site, then you do not want olive. a buddy of mine fished my rio selective trout in olive and had a difficult time seeing the line. fact is people catch fish just fine with bright orange, flourescent green and yellow line color.

with the amount of thought you seem to be putting into this, i think overall your curiosity will lead you to try out different lines in the future anyway.

good luck

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:21 PM

OK thanks again.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:36 PM

OK guys, last question (until the ice melts and then I'm sure I'll have a ton more).

I was pretty much set on the Lamson Konic but I've also noticed a Sage 1600 series in that same price range. Anyone have any feelings regarding choosing one of these over the other?
Old 03-11-2009, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I was looking for a 7wt reel and picked the Sage 1680 over the Konic 3.5 due to spool diameter difference: the 1680 is a good bit larger and thus will pick up line much quicker. I'll be using the thing on a "meat" rod to throw high-protein streamers and other large stuff at larger than average fish and wanted to be able to pick that line up quickly in a pinch. So line pick-up and $25 less sounded good enough to me. I just hope it balances well enough on the rod I don't quite have yet. (Long Story)

I would make the decision based on which reel balances the rod better. (Make sure you add in the weight of the line as well.) You are choosing between what I think are the best two reels under $150 and you would be well served by either one.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:14 PM

Just an update on this post. I ended up going with the Lamson Konic reel with Cortland 444 Classic WF6F line, should be on my front porch any day now. Thanks to all who provided help on this.