The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2009, 03:14 PM

jaysun23 is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie looking for a reel recommendation please

I recently purchased my very 1st fly rod, a St. Croix Reign 9' 6wt. I was looking at various reels and couldn't figure out which one to get. It's my understanding that reels on a fly rod aren't nearly as important as they are in the spinning/baitcasting world, but that doesn't mean I wanted to go home with junk (forgive my ignorance if they are important, I had just read that you'd be better off putting your money into good fly line than you would a good reel). So I'm looking for a recommendation based on the following specs. I'd also appreciate any brand recommendations on line, backing, leaders, tippets, etc.

Experience: Absolutely None - My only experience with fly's is at the business end of a swatter
Target Fish: Trout and Panfish
Water type: Small Wisconsin freshwater lakes, rivers and streams
Price Range: I'd like to stay under $125
Old 03-09-2009, 03:35 PM

dorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nicedorian.ducker is just really nice
Default Re: Newbie looking for a reel recommendation please

Lamson Konic.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:11 PM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

The konic is a very good reel. There's also the original Battenkill from Orvis that's good, although it is not a large arbour reel. Personally, I don't have large arbour reels for trout or panfish/bass. Only for atlantic salmon. My trout reels are Scientific Anglers System 1. Inexpensive, simple and reliable. With 125$, you would have enough left over for a spare spool. Bottom line, buy the best you can afford, it will pay for itself in the long run. One good thing is the fact that you set a budget from the start. There are so many choices out there. My .02.

Marc
Old 03-09-2009, 08:48 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

OKUMA SLV...... 100% DANDY ! I've owned several, and they
have all preformed flawlessly. I've moved on to much more expensive reels,
but they offer little more than the SLV does. The 5/6 size should work very
well with the St. Croix Reign.

P.S. Any Scientific Anglers line will work well. I've been using Umpqua leaders lately, and they're decent. 9' 4X leaders will
work fine. 100 yards of 20lb backing will do fine.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:59 PM

OK thanks. I'm guessing since it's a 6 weight rod, I want 6 weight line? How important is it to match line weight to the rod? Also, I'm still confused on the whole leader/tippet thing, but anyway, am I'm better off buying these than trying to make my own? Can anyone point me to a beginners guide or thread that covers basics like what the differnece between a tippet and leader is?? I can't see why one wouldn't just use a flourocarbon leader tied to fly line??
Old 03-09-2009, 09:25 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Jaysun23

The basic idea with a leader is that the butt end (the end tied to the fly line) is made of very thick material and then as it progresses to the fly end is very small. This basic construction allows the leader and fly to turn over nicely when cast. For general trout fishing you might choose a 5x leader that is 7 to 9 ft long. You don't want to tie your flies directly to the leader as you will be shortening the leader a little bit each time you change flies. By the end of the day you might have to throw the leader away. A good way to prevent this is to tie on a section of tippet material say 5x that is maybe 2 ft long. Now as the day progresses and you change flies you are not shortening the leader. Hope that explains the relationship with the leader and tippet. In certain styles of fishing, say high stick nymphing a piece of mono is all that is tied to the fly line, but in that case you are not casting per say but more lobing the fly upstream and than wanting it to sink very fast and then you high stick or keep a tight line as the rig bottom bounces downstream, but that is a very special type of fishing. In most all other situations your are going to want to use a leader/tippet combination.

Larry
Old 03-09-2009, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

You've got good advice.

Just to answer a few of your questions:

Very important to match up the weight of the fly line with the weight your rod is designed to cast. For your rod, a 6 weight, "weight forward taper" floating fly line. I'd go with a decent one by SA (Scientific Anglers) or Rio for about 40 bucks.

Leaders - tapered knotless leader, 9 feet long tapered to 4x
Tippet- spools of 4x, 5x and 6x (leader and tippet from Rio, Frog Fanny, or Umpqua)

the "x" refers to the diameter, the bigger the x, the thinner the tippet or leader. The leader and tippet is designed to layout the fly at the end of the cast, and you use different size tippets based on the hook size of the fly. (Hook size divided by 3 = tippet size, so a size 12 fly you'd use 4x, size 16 fly 5x etc.)

Mark
Old 03-09-2009, 11:23 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

one point of clarification i think must be mentioned. although the leader starts off thick and becomes progressively thinner towards the tip, tippet material is basically level and not tapered like the leader.

with about 2-3 feet of tippet at the end of the leader, you tie the fly onto the end of the tippet. you WILL find your tippet shortening as you not only change flies but as a beginner, you'll catch your flies on branches, rocks, snap them off with sloppy casting, etc. use a double surgeons knot to connect leader to tippet.

the thicker end of the leader attaches to the fly line. some brands provide a loop at the end of the fly line, and many leaders have loops for ease in attaching using a loop to loop connection. it's the taper of the entire tackle (line/leader/tippet) which allows flies to "turnover"

and when you buy a spool of tippet, make sure it's around $3-$4. a buddy just starting accidentally bought flourocarbon tippet which runs about $10 a spool. no real loss but the added cost at the beginning was unnecessary.

a good starter line is a floating line. two main tapers to a fly line weight forward and double taper. go for the weight forward. the box should list the designation [ WF6F ] for a weight forward 6wt floating line. for now, stick with the line weight listed on your rod.

two good books to look out for are beginning fly fishing books offered by orvis (and i hear) the llbean one is good too. once you start fishing your streams, look for he curtis creek manifesto, a small illustrative book which is actually chock-full of genius insight in info and delivery.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:00 PM

Thanks for all the great advice! Pretty sure I'm going to go with the Konic but I'm having real trouble finding line. Looking at all the reviews on Cabela's site and nothing really jumps out as being quality line (minor complaints about all of them)
Old 03-11-2009, 12:03 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

which complaints? what kind of complaints? what does the line have to be to jump out at you? the color? what's your price range?

for a beginner, i'd look at the cabelas prestige plus, rio classic, rio selective trout II, cortland's 444 classic "peach", cortland's 333+, hook and hackle's hi floater line (hookhack.com, only $30), scientific anglers lefty kreh sig series, SA professional series (the $39 one), even the SA air cel would all work great for a beginner. all offered at cabelas except for the hook and hackle line. none of these but the rio selective trout are premium lines. i would fish any of them for streams rivers and lakes.

there are a lot of people who try out fly lines like they try on shoes. those with more experience can pick out certain characteristics a beginner would not notice. don't get bogged down with minor stuff. remember, the important part is to get on the water.

eric
fresno, ca.