The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 05:38 PM

pie314 will become famous soon enough
Default The switch

So lately i have gotten really into the whole 2 handed rod thing. Just watching videos of people using them and the effortless casts and reading about the "good" these rods bring.
So my question is, would this type of rod be good for me. I would be using this rod for fishing big warm water rivers( mississippi), wading shorelines of lakes, and hopefully someday steelhead in the great lakes area.
My theory of using this rod on rivers is i do not have a boat, so i will be limited to wading, so maybe i could put a fly over a section of water far away that i might not be able to get to with a single handed stick.
The rods i have in mind are

-10'10" #7 echo switch
-11' #7 tfo deer creek
-11' #7 red truck diesel switch

What are your guys and girls thoughts on this. Would this help me or just be an unnecessary purchase? All comments on the subject welcome.

Thanks, Brian
Old 12-15-2010, 07:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: The switch

Brian,

If big water is the target don't mess around with a switch go 14' or longer.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-15-2010, 08:45 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I am with Ard. If you want to fish big water effectively, you need a large rod. The only reasons to go shorter are low overhang and limited backcast room.

MP
Old 12-15-2010, 09:12 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

There are no "unnecessary purchases" in fly fishing.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-15-2010, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Watch for posts by 'Diver Dan' and send him a PM about big rods. He fishes big water and does it really well. He will be a good source for info on rods, lines and all the trimmings for big rigs.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-16-2010, 07:34 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

For the big rivers the long rod is the way to go, but what do you do more of? If you're fishing lake shores more a switch rod cast in an overhead manner will be a rocket! On 90% of the GL tribs I fish the long rod is a bit much, not totally out of place but there are plenty of runs with an tree canopy where even 11' can't sneak a cast in. The long rod gives you way way more line control but they can feel a bit too big in some scenarios. I have to admit though I'm biased in my opinion cause I LOVE my switch rods!

I should add that a rod in the "in between" catagory might be a good idea, something 12'6" to 13'6" and the right line can cover just about any scenario.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:21 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Brian, I built a 10'8" 6wt switch last winter and fished it exclusively last spring. I used it swinging flies, high stick nymphing, and indicator fishing for Steelhead, loved it...When I used it two handed casting it performed great, however it isn't a magic bullet for extending the distance you can cast; you have to work at it. Would I have built it after my learning experiences? Absolutely...

Dan
Old 12-19-2010, 08:21 PM

pie314 will become famous soon enough

I have messaged dan on the subject, still waiting for a reply. I wouldnt mind doing a full spey rod, But what line weight would i go with if i got a big rod. Would i want to stick with a seven weight? Im not sure if you are supposed to go with a heavier or lighter setup the longer you go.

As far as casting, would it be easier to learn spey casting techniques on a a 13+ foot spey rod or an 11 foot switch?

Brian