Rod Flex Index

txbevo

Reaction score
Being new to fly fishing, I like the idea of Orvis' Rod Flex Index. It seems a little easier for me to grasp than descriptions of medium, fast, etc... Also, it seems a little less subjective to me and could help in comparing different rod makes and models. I understand that the preferred way is to cast a rod and compare rods side by side prior to purchase. In a lot of cases that is just not the reality for a lot of folks who do not have a fly shop(s) close by or their local shop only carries a few makes of rods. Having somewhat of an objective measurement could help people make decisions with a little more confidence when they cannot test cast/fish a rod.

I am considering purchasing an Orvis rod. It seems to me that Orvis is the only rod manufacturer that offers different actions in each model of rod. You can get tip flex or mid flex, etc... I have never seen a Z-Axis listed in different options for action like that. I am curios as to how some of the other rods would fit on the Orvis Flex Index. For example, I have a 9' 6wt Sage FLi and it is listed as Med-Fast. Where would it rate on the Flex Index? What about a Z-Axis? A BIIX? What about a TFO Pro? If anyone with experience with these rods could rate them according to the Flex Index I would appreciate it.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
txbevo: I can't really speak for the other rod manufacturers as I have owned Orvis rods for years. From personal experience I would say a medium fast rod is easier to learn to cast. My last rod I purchased is a tip flex, but I purchased that rod as I deal with a lot of wind here in WY. The drawback to a tip flex is that it is not nearly as forgiving when you get a little excited on the hook set. You will easily break a fish off, so it took some getting used to, but I really like the rod action when casting especially when the wind picks up. If I didn't have to deal with wind I think my personal favorite would be a medium fast rod. Buying rods is like buying cars, everyone has their personal favorites with different reasons, plus the fact that there are a lot of realy nice rods on the market these days.

Larry

krsissell

Reaction score
I am pretty new to this as well, but have been experimenting with several rods such as sage, orvis, winston and thomas and thomas. Pertty much high end rods because for some reason I think I am getting the best technology. Actually, I probably am, but for a price. Anyway, I have tried to apply the Orvis flex chart. I don't know how they do it, but they seem to be able to guage the flex in small incriments and as you say ofer the rod in many variations. My summary is this. Starting with the tip flex you are talking about fast rods (stiff). I am not sure which is stiffer, a 9.5 or a 12.5 and I am not real sure I could tell the difference. In my humble opinion, the stiffer the rod (fast, tip flex, etc.) the harder they are to cast. However, once you learn or get the feel of them you can get really tight loops and a lot of distance (also a lot of wind knots trying to learn). Also good for the wind Mid-flex is more of a medium to medium fast rod. Much easier to cast, more forgiving, but not quite as stellar performance in the wind or for distance. Full flex is exactly that. Very light action, bigger loops, no real distance, but very exciting to fish. Fighting a bluegill can be as exciting as a five pound bass on a bait caster. These rods have a learning curve like the fast action. As to other manufactures I can't say why that don't produce a variety like Orvis in the same rod. I often wonder how accurate you can actually measure each rod because I have two sage rods that are the same make but don't actually feel the same when I cast them.