The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 12:38 PM

fishosopher is on a distinguished road
Default Fluoro tippets for dry flies

I'd like to hone in on the thread Franzenangler started yesterday. Specifically, what do you think about using fluorocarbon for dry flies, including 16-20?

Now I'm carrying both mono and fluoro, which is cumbersome. I fish both dries and nymphs, not to mention wets and streamers. Often I'll decide, "They're no longer interested in dry flies, so I'll try nymphs." Heck, I don't want to change leaders every time I change my mind. (When I tell my wife that I've changed my mind, she says, "I hope the new one works better"...but that's another story.)

I could always "grease" my fluoro leader, but I understand that his makes the leader more visible to the fish.

I'd like to simplify my vest and leader protocol. So how big of a downside are fluoro leaders with dries.
We're all in the same boat. We all come 'ere and we don't know why. We all go in our turn and we don't know where. If you are a bit better off, be thankful. And if you don't get into trouble an' make a fool of yourself, well, be thankful for that,'cos you easily might.--J.B.Priestley
Old 12-17-2010, 01:18 PM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Fluoro tippets for dry flies

I have tried this for the same reasons you stated. I found it depends on two things: How big the fly is, and how strong the leader is. Very heavy leaders (3X-0X) will sink almost any dry fly I use, but finer leaders will work with larger flies (say maybe #10 and bigger). The other problem I have found is that I got a belly in my leader. The fly floats that end of the leader, the fly line floats that end of the leader, but the middle sinks. This created a drag on the fly. Enough to be a problem....I felt like it was.

Bottom line, I switch leader materials when I switch flies. With a loop-to-loop connection its not that bad.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:48 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Fluoro is all I use, for all fishing, but I agree smaller diameter. But I don't fish ANY dries that require more than a 4X and it works fine. It is stronger & smaller diameter than mono so you can go bigger, but no need to. Like if I use a 4X in mono I would use 5X in fluoro.

And I fish #32....with fluoro
Old 12-17-2010, 02:22 PM

Walter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really nice

I see no downside to fluoro at all. All my leaders are Mono...ie: standard tapered 9 ft leader right out of the package..because they are 1/3 the price of fluoro..but all my tippets whether for nymphing or for dries are fluoro. I fish much more dries than subsurface and have faced no issues using fluoro from 3x to 7x. My sz 24's don't sink at all with 7x fluoro. In fact what you have to consider when dryfly fishing w/ fluoro (as well as mono) is degreasing the leader w/ loon mud and sinking it a little. I recently had to use 8x for some really small top water flies on the Farmington in Ct......but my favorite Fluoro (RIO) was not available in 8x so I had to go w/ some frog's hair mono.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:25 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfzx View Post
The other problem I have found is that I got a belly in my leader. The fly floats that end of the leader, the fly line floats that end of the leader, but the middle sinks.
I experienced this same thing. center of the leader got snagged on rocks in the riffles. I'm using up my fluoro leaders and when they are gone switching to mono with fluoro tippet.
Rich
Old 12-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

That is why I use furled leaders with Fluoro tippet, but sometimes that is 5'.
Old 12-17-2010, 06:03 PM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

This is simple...
2 Rods...
one 3 or 4 wt for drys.. and light nymphing
one 5 or 6wt for streamers and dredging nymphs.
If your sold on Fluoro..I have land in Florida around Okeechobee thats dry,are ya interested?
IMO Fluoro,,waste of $$..leader or tippet.
ALL OF YOUR FLYS HAVE A GIANT PIECE OF METAL ..hanging from its butt
Tippet and leader line shadows mean little.. proper drift and presentation mean everything..Fly line shadows spook..thats another story and technique.
Right bug at the right time with right drift = fish in the creel
..Just my 2cents worth(what's that equal in pounds?)

Remember
Put your toy's away after your done playing with them..
Steve
Old 12-17-2010, 06:36 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Most people don't understand this, but you want your tippet to sink when you're fishing a dry fly.

When your tippet is on the surface it's like an arrow pointing to the fly screaming out "I'm a fraud !!"
Old 12-17-2010, 06:37 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

For the last year or so, my setup for dry, wet, streamer, nymph, whatever has been my own "secret recipe" furled clear nylon leaders with anywhere between 3 and 5 feet of fluorocarbon tippet. I follow the old thumb rule of hook size divided by three equals tippet size. My only exception is for VERY large bass poppers, in which case I use 3 feet of 10# Berkley Vanish fluorocarbon, plain, right off the spool, worm drowner fishing line as a tippet.

Using this setup I have had great success with hook sizes from 24 to 2/0, tippet sizes from 8X to 0X, a dozen species, four different line weights (3, 6, 7, 8), greased and not, with and without split shot, with and without strike indicators, under all kinds of water and weather conditions. I change tippet size and accoutrement when the fly type and size dictates it. But I always use a fluorocarbon tippet.

I would not change that setup unless someone could show a really strong case for anything different. Since I catch enough fish to keep me happy, it would have to be a really strong case indeed. Use what you like, what you can afford, or what is available without too much shopping around, but in the end, the fish will decide for you, just as they have decided for me.
Old 12-17-2010, 07:01 PM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
Most people don't understand this, but you want your tippet to sink when you're fishing a dry fly.

When your tippet is on the surface it's like an arrow pointing to the fly screaming out "I'm a fraud !!"
Ummm Yep!..
If one fishes and looks close one can see said arrow---->