The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By peregrines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 04:09 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all
Default Help with a id

I'm new here so don't beat me up to bad. In cleaning the garage I came across a old Wilson split bamboo 9ft rod with two tips. Its in a green tent canvas bag with a wooden u rod to hold the tips. The old tag on the rod bag is unreadable, as a winter time indoor project I'd like to refinish it. I'm wondering how old it is and a guess on a wt? Together with a cast you know it feels slow and heavy, I got it from a club member 25 years ago who told me, every fly caster need a split bamboo rod. It has metal ferrels, a metal reel seat, garnet stripper. The guide wraps are of dark brown and gold thread, and the varnish is a light coffee. Any thoughts on it would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 12-17-2010, 04:41 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Help with a id

hey Oarfish welcome to the forum, would love to see pics of your rod.-- but.....

... don't touch it!!

At least until you find out what you've got--- Dermot Wilson was a highly respected rodmaker, and went into business with Norm Thompson is the 70's i think. Wilson designed a number of bamboo and fiberglass rods.

One of his more famous bamboo rods was a Wilson International, an 8' 3" 6wt with a parabolic action with blue and gold wraps.

Hopefully some folks that know more about boo rods here will chime in, but you might also want to check out the forum at Clark's Classic Fly Rod Forum www.classicflyrod.com The folks on that board will most likely be able to give you tons of info.

I think that your best bet would be to find out what impact refinishing might have on the potential value--- and also if you want to refinish it anyway, to at least document original condition to establish/document provenance in the future. And you can get recommendations for refinishers that do quality work on older rods if you didn't want to do it yourself.

mark
mcnerney likes this.
Old 12-17-2010, 05:52 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all
Default Re: Help with a id

Thanks Mark and thanks for the info!
If I took away the rod handle and seat it would be 8'3", I'll post some pics when I can get them outside, we'll have rain untill next Tuesday, the rivers a blow out. I'll store this rod with a little more respect untill I can find out what it is, and look for a little 4wt for the project.

Happy Holidays Rick.