The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 08:05 AM

Leahcim is on a distinguished road
Default Bamboo rod making

I watch the TV show "How it's Made" daily, last night they went through the bamboo rod making process at the "Thomas &Thomas" facility. I am tool & die by trade and this show fascinates me, much to my wife's chagrin.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bamboo rod making

The craftsmanship that goes into constructing a boo rod is amazing--- just to make a stick out of 6 planed pieces of cane is hard enough, but to get it to perform with the proper tapers and all to throw a fly line is artistry.

There are boo building courses out there if you feel yourself getting pulled in...

mark
Old 03-13-2009, 09:17 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

My fishing partner started building cane rods 6-7 years ago.
While at the time he was professionally repairing and restoring rods for a large general tackle shop, he had absolutely no wood working experience.
..He never took a class, he just read up on it, got some tools, and did it.
Even on his first rod, you can't see a single glue line.
He's been trying to talk me into taking up the hobby but I don't have that kind of patience
Old 03-13-2009, 11:32 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Leachim
I love that show also. That & Mythbusters are always worth watching.......Years ago a friend started building bamboo rods & also tried to get me into it. I went as far as making a few planing forms, one for me & another one for him. After watching him do the whole process & actually starting on one I backed off & let him finish. He now builds them commercially & has progressed beyond the hobbiest.
There is a lot involved beyond the planeing, with the gluing, finishing etc. I figured I'd just test his spares & just stay with pre-made blanks for my rod building..... It is a rewarding hobby & if you have the patience go for it.
Good luck in your efforts
Neil