The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2006, 09:31 PM

MikeLove will become famous soon enoughMikeLove will become famous soon enough
Solunar Tables

Hey friends!

Do any of you compare the solunar tables to your sucessful days of fishing? I purchased a copy this past year and have found them not to be a rule for fishing but have been surprised to find that many times they prove to be very on time. This past saturday at noon the sun was up and the moon was down(which is a prime major feeding indication) and the fish did bite well till nearly 1:30 pm then quit..then there are times I find when the weather overrides and takes the bite out... what do you think?
Old 01-20-2006, 10:50 PM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Solunar Tables

i have found that between the solunar tables it also helps to check out a barometric gauge. between the 2 i had some very successful days last year.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:09 PM

freeze69, do you feel that if the barometer starts moving that it overrides the moon phase?
Old 01-21-2006, 12:27 AM

yes i do. the barometric pressure effects fish in different ways. take along a barometer sometime. if you don't have one check the news sometimes. watching this along with the moon phases can be important. i trust the barometer the most though. it seems to be more reliable. ever notice that before a storm moves in or out fish seem to react different.
Old 01-25-2006, 04:51 PM

Default additonal reading material

I have found this site to be well worth looking at. There is much valuable information about lunar theory and available charts. www.solunar.com
Old 01-26-2006, 08:16 AM

idabelangler will become famous soon enoughidabelangler will become famous soon enough

Mike also uses crystals and tarot cards for his fly selection.
Old 01-26-2006, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I don't check the tables so much as I pay attention to the stages of the moon. Full or new is good, middle stages not so great. I started doing this when I was Fishing down near Rockport. Full and new moons equate to more tidal movement and better fishing. New is ideal, since theres less light for the fish to feed at night, too.

Barometric pressue is one I haven't figured out so much yet. I have had fish turn on like nobody's business as a storm is rolling in, but then sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-26-2006, 11:00 AM

barometric pressure is a tricky one. the way i've been doing it is with a cheap barometric pressure gauge that you can get through cabelas, bass pro, and steve might even be able to get them. they're very imformative with one glance you'll know fairly accuratley what the fishing is going to be like.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:24 PM

See a storm coming, run to it and go fishing till it runs you off...
Old 02-09-2006, 07:24 PM

Outdoorarki will become famous soon enoughOutdoorarki will become famous soon enough

I have a casio watch that has the moon phase on it. I tells you at what time of the day the fishig is suppose to be the best. I try to fish around it but can't tell that it makes a whole lot of differance. I have noticed that the fish do seem to bed by it though.