The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2009, 03:53 PM

rag will become famous soon enough
Default Fly tying tweezers

My tying tweezers, somehow, got magnetized. This is a problem picking up hooks. How do you demagnetize them?
Old 03-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Fly tying tweezers

Hi rag,

You need one of these. It creates a field that will remove the magnetism. They are pretty cheap but I don't know where to buy one.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 03-13-2009, 08:17 PM

MBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the roughMBWCC is a jewel in the rough

Degaussing requires an alternating magnetic field (AC current) magnet. You start with the degaussing magnet close to the object and then move it away from the object (zero field strength). You can build one from an iron core, some copper wire, and a lamp cord, or you can buy one for $$$.

FWIW, despite the probable advertising claims from the manufacturer a fixed pole magnet such as the one shown in Frank's post will not do the job.
Old 03-13-2009, 09:14 PM

pc40chas is on a distinguished road

if you have to buy a demagnetizer, why not buy a new pair of tweezers. unless you want to make something like mentioned above just to see if it works. i guess that would be kinda neat to see. ive never heard of that.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:43 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

I've never tried it, but you could try heating them.

If they're only slightly magnetized the heat may rearrange the alignment of the molecules and reduce or eliminate the magnetism.

Heating them might ruin the temper of the metal, but it's worth a shot unless you have access to a degausser somewhere or can "MacGyver" one out of some spare parts.

good luck.

mark
Old 03-14-2009, 03:32 PM

Midwest flyfish kid will become famous soon enough

The same thing happened to my scissors. Wierd
Old 03-14-2009, 09:28 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

Hey everybody,

Maybe its the company if it happened to two people or just bad luck. What company where they? Its probably very unlikely it was the company though.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 03-15-2009, 08:46 AM

Flytrap is on a distinguished road

Hmm. I, OTOH, have trouble picking up tiny hooks, so my problem is just the opposite. I'd LIKE having magnetized tweezers but don't know how to magntize them. I have a pair of magnetized needle nose pliers I use now, but would prefer something smaller.

One man's meat, I guess.

Oh, yeah, it'd be simpler getting new tweezers tha a degausser.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:46 AM

Wyatt is on a distinguished road

Have seen the device Frank showed pics of in Radio Shack and Home Depot in Colorado, one side Magnitizes and the other demagnitizes handy to have around sometimes need to magnitize a screwdriver to retreive a screw from a tight spot and demagnitize sissors, tweezers and other smal metal objects.
Wyatt
Old 03-15-2009, 08:49 AM

Flytrap is on a distinguished road

Wyatt, thanks for the info. We have a Radio Shack here in town, so next time I cruise past it...