The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2006, 11:41 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough
Default How often do you tie flies ?

Just curious as to how often many of you tie flies & how many do you tie at that particular sitting ?

Do you find yourself tying more in the winter, or does it seem to be distributed throughout the year ?

Do you stick with let's say a small group of patterns, or do you vary depending on what you come across let's say in magazines, etc ?

Do you have our "own space" at your home, or do you tie at the dining room table ?

I have my "own space" in what my daughters have labelled "The Man Room".
I have an old Steelcase desk down in the basement (Man Room) where I have my vise & all my tying materials along with all my fly fishing equipment.

How about you ?

Always in the Water,

Tie One On
Old 01-23-2006, 11:54 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: How often do you tie flies ?

I have my own space that doubles as the laundry room. It is about 10' wide by 20' long and is out back.

I tie when I realize I am getting low on whatever pattern I may be using and generally tie up a doz or so of what I need.
Old 01-23-2006, 12:08 PM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough

my version of the man room is a back bedroom. the room has my 4x2 table all my supplies, my xbox, and tons of magazines. the only thing besides my fouton not related to fishing or gaming is the freezer. usually tie up whenever the mood strikes or the wife and dogs get on my nerves. then i could be in there for hours. just depends on my mood.
Old 01-23-2006, 02:18 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I guess you could call mine subsistence tying. When I'm about to go fish somewhere, I tie up what I expect to need. These flies, in addition to the large selection I've already got in boxes, get me by.

How many I tie when I sit down depends on how many i expect to need/use/lose on my next excursion.

I've got a fly tying desk in our second bedroom that is in between a stereo and a computer with tons of music on it as well.

I usually tie what I know will work where I am fishing, although I will occasionally see stuff in magazines or catalogs that make me wanna try that given technique or pattern.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.