The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 10:35 AM

lefty2 is on a distinguished road
Default orvis battenkill mid arbor?

could i hear opinions on these reels? i have a couple of the older 'made in england' battenkills, and one of the new 'made in china' model. thanks for any input.
Old 12-18-2010, 10:53 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: orvis battenkill mid arbor?

i have one for my seven weight smallmouth rig and really like it. well machined,nice drag and at the 100 price point, its a fine reel. maybe a tad on the heavy side but these smallies don't seem to care.

casey
Old 12-18-2010, 04:58 PM

Sandwich is on a distinguished road

You'll be fine with the reel not stating "made in England". For the money, it's one heck of a fine reel. Machining and fit is very, very good.

Probably most important is the warranty behind the reel: should you ever have any trouble, just return to your local Orvis shop and they'll typically replace! If you don't have a local shop, the local dealer can also assist in returning the reel to Orvis, or possibly replacing.

The reel has a great drag, very smooth in starting up to protect your tippet. I'd also consider the large arbor version!
Old 12-18-2010, 05:05 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

I have two for my 5/6 wt rigs, like them a lot. About as good as anything I've seen from the Orient. One little nit-pick, no porting on the inside of the spool in the arbor... holds water/ice. milt.
Old 12-18-2010, 05:48 PM

canine is on a distinguished road

I was just in my flyshop looking for an extra spool for my mid arbor. found out that I couldn't get one, it was discontinued, new model coming out. guess they shaved a couple ounces off of the new one. I really liked the one on my 5 wt.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:25 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

I have several of the Orvis Mid-Arbor reels and like them very much. Smooth drag, easy to use and very durable. I had not heard that Orvis was changing them and extra spools will no be available for the current models - I will have to check on available spare spools with my local fly shop. I have used Mid-Arbors in both freshwater for several years, and a couple of times in the salt and have had no problems.

I have heard a few folks state a concern about using them in the salt - apparently they do not have a completely sealed bearing system, and you might get sand or grit in the mechanism. If you get a little grit in the reel it will only stop you for a few moments, and will not kill the reel; you just have to flush the sand out and go back to fishing. Orvis states that they are fully guaranteed for use in fresh and salt water.
Old 12-22-2010, 03:37 PM

flyguy2 is on a distinguished road

One of the best reels for the money to be found. As stated above there is always the Orvis warranty and customer service to complete a great product !!
Old 12-23-2010, 03:28 PM

estrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura aboutestrother has a spectacular aura about
Default Made in South Korea - I think.

Last time I saw or read anything about the current reels, it said that they are made in South Korea - in case you care.

FWIW, I have several for 5wt and 9wt, and they have performed very well. The large arbor are lighter (apples to apples), but they cost more.