The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 08:52 PM

boone is on a distinguished road
Default fly fishing presentation

I work at the Mast General Store Annex in Valle Crucis NC ( near Boone) in the outdoor department. During the warmer months we like to set up a table outside with different things like maps, packs, tents, stoves, etc... Just so that people get a good look at what we have and to help educate them on how they work. My manager asked me today if i would mind doing something related to fishing on one of these days. A friend of mine and i are in the begining stages of starting out own fly fishing business so i jumped on the offer. We are going to have a table set up where we will be demonstrating how to tie different flies, we'll be selling flies as well as custom rods that we make, we will have some casting lessons throughout the day, and i am going to try to put together a presentation on fly fishing that will last about an hour.

My Question is: What are some of the things that yal would recomend i put into the presentation. I have some ideas but just wanted to know what some other people thought.

We dont have a set date for it yet but if you're in the area stop by and talk fishing with me (i'll post up when i get the exact date)
Old 03-15-2009, 09:02 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: fly fishing presentation

Hey! Are you the same boone who just bought a Skykomish? I've been talking to a boone on a Michigan site I frequent.

As for that class, tough to do in an hour. All you can hope for is an overview.
You might want to break it down into one hour sessions of several topics.
If you want help in the casting instruction portion say the word! All I ask is a few minutes raiding the candy barrels!
Old 03-15-2009, 09:07 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough

i looked on google maps, looks like you have good streams nearby, start an annual fishing for *(insert charity of your choice here)* sponsered by Master General Store Annex!
have people get sponsers for each fish they catch, or for every pound of fish they catch.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:18 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Take a stroll at what Mast General Store has in store! If some of these don't bring back memories of the days before fluoride in our water, you're too darned young! MAST General Store: Quality Merchandise, Fair Prices and Friendly Service
Old 03-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Boone- neat idea good luck with it, it should be fun.

I would emphasize a couple things:

You can get started in FF without breaking the bank, there are outfits for every budget.

It’s easy to get started, and FF is not just for trout- many opportunities for panfish and bass too.

Fly casting, you cast the weight of the line, not the weight of the lure like spinning or baitcasting. Stress the importance of matching line weight to “weight” of the rod- a lot of people confuse the rod's rated line weighting with the actual weight of the rod. (ie a rod that weighs 4oz is not necessarily a 4 weight.)

A fly casting demo as part of the presentation (with yarn on the end, you don’t want hooks flying around). Letting folks cast a few after would be cool too.

You might have some handouts with a range of line weights and general recommendations for gear for different fishing- panfish trout and bass, and salt water, or a glossary of basic terms- something as a “take away”

Where to go for more info (you and your startup business, local FF clubs, local fly shops etc, websites) on the handout above.

Next steps… some plan of action for folks that might be interested in pursuing the sport, perhaps that ties into your business.

Let us know how it goes!

mark
Old 03-16-2009, 01:41 PM

Thanks for all the replys. Peregrines is right on. Most of the people who will be there will probably have never fished before so i will definately just be covering the basics. As for the casting lesson. That will be seperate and not included in the "presentation" i'm just looking for about an hour of talking.

Here are some of the things that i've thought about so far.

Describe the differences between fly and casting tackle (i'll have some fly and some casting tackle to show the difference as well).

Describe lines (weights, sinking, floating)

Describe the rest of the tackle and its uses

some of the presentation methods (not an entire "class" though)

and some of the entemology that is pertinent to the area.

Any more sugestions?
Old 03-16-2009, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by boone View Post
Thanks for all the replys. Peregrines is right on. Most of the people who will be there will probably have never fished before so i will definately just be covering the basics. As for the casting lesson. That will be seperate and not included in the "presentation" i'm just looking for about an hour of talking.

Here are some of the things that i've thought about so far.

Describe the differences between fly and casting tackle (i'll have some fly and some casting tackle to show the difference as well).

Describe lines (weights, sinking, floating)

Describe the rest of the tackle and its uses

some of the presentation methods (not an entire "class" though)

and some of the entemology that is pertinent to the area.

Any more sugestions?
Anything you can do to dispel the common notion of FF as elitish, snobbish and super expensive sport would be good.

For the casting part you could demonstrate throwing a lure and trying to throw a feather across the room to drive home the casting the line thing. If you could also demo some fly casting that would be good to, even if you don't turn it into a casting class.

Some examples of flies- panfish poppers, bass stuff, trout dries, nymphs and streamers... Just be careful kids don't get hooked. Maybe pass around a fly box or two for people to ooooh and ahhhh.

Maybe bring along a fly vest to show all the gizmos and pass it around. Let kids try it on.

I think encouraging folks to start out with panfish would be good too, if there are local lakes or ponds around.

I also think that getting across the idea that a lot of help is out there for folks interested in getting started is key. A lot of people can be intimidated by the lingo, all the choices in gear etc, and not know where to turn.

You might also check your state's fish and wildlife website for info on local special events that might be coming up, places to fish in the area etc for inclusion in handouts with some resources for them to get more info on how to get started including local resources (like local TU Chapters, FFF affiliated clubs, fly shops etc.), intro books, and even this forum's address if you want.

you might also consider googling "fly fishing basics" or "fly fishing 101" for a lot of basic info other folks use to introduce FF stuff to new folks.

Good luck, it sounds like fun.

mark

mark
Old 03-16-2009, 02:50 PM

Thanks again. I'm very excited about this. I'm pretty confident that i will do fine, i just wanted to make sure that i didnt leave anything out. I've got a lot of good tips on here. Keep them coming.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:55 AM

Merlin is on a distinguished road

See if you can get some sales reps involved from different manufactures. Chances are they will show up with a lot of free hand out stuff.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:28 PM

Thats not a bad idea but i will also be promoting the business that i am in the process of starting up so being the selfish bastar! that i am i would rather it be just me...