The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 09:57 AM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough
Default Furled and knotted forum?

There is a section here for just about everything, but does anybody think there would be enough interest in sharing furled or knotted leader recipes, how-to, and helpful hints to warrant a dedicated section in the tackle talk?
Old 12-19-2010, 11:38 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Furled and knotted forum?

I'd be interested. I always wondered about making my own leaders, but to date have been to preoccupied (you can read that as lazy ) to find any info.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-19-2010, 05:18 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You guys should contact Joni. She is pretty much the Furlgirl around here. Me, I don't have a clue. But she is riding the wave when it comes to these things. I can create a sticky in a forum so that all posts regarding furled leaders can be moved to it if that would help.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-19-2010, 07:13 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

That could work for me.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-19-2010, 08:22 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

A sticky might do the trick. I know there's some pretty significant information to share on leaders, both furled and knotted. I can think of at least a dozen formulas for each that I tried before settling on one that worked best for me. Any single location for all that data might have saved me a load of time on search engines and sifting through the forums.

I know there is a great spreadsheet called Leadercalc for knotted leaders. It might be worth seeing if we could get permission to post it here. It's a wealth of knowledge.
Old 12-19-2010, 08:56 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

I know that furled leaders are all the rage right now, but some of us are still interested in knotted mono (or for that matter, fluoro) leaders. I'm assuming that neither furled nor fluoro leaders work as well with dry flies as mono knotted.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
I know that furled leaders are all the rage right now, but some of us are still interested in knotted mono (or for that matter, fluoro) leaders. I'm assuming that neither furled nor fluoro leaders work as well with dry flies as mono knotted.
I use furled leaders with dry flies all the time. Works great. I have used fluorocarbon and monofilament knotless tapered and home made knotted leaders with dry flies with some success, but none of them were even remotely as effective or as easy to cast as furled leaders. Personally, furled is where it's at, but to each his own. You will decide what works for you, but more likely the fish will make the decision for you.
Old 12-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Where would you like to find the Sticky, 'Fly Lines or Other Gear'? I tend to lean toward Fly Lines since the leaders are the terminal end of the line.

You guys give me some input then I'll Sticky this thread and move all of the pertinent posts over. Then when you want to post something new you will just have to remember where the thread is stuck, OK?

Old 12-19-2010, 10:53 PM

Fly lines should work fine. We just need to get the gurus of leader making to share their wisdom. Does anybody want to take the lead on asking for written permission to post Leadercalc?
Old 12-19-2010, 11:00 PM
Administrator

I don't know what Leadercalc is so it won't be me Shane. I will Put a title on the Sticky, something like 'The Lines End; Furled or Knotted Leader Discussion'. How does that sound?

---------- Post added at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 PM ----------

Could be tomorrow till I post it because Nancy and I are about to watch a movie right now.