The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2006, 01:44 AM

freeze69 will become famous soon enoughfreeze69 will become famous soon enough
Default walleye and or white bass flies

just attended a fishing seminar in chicago over the weekend. one speaker we caught got on the topic of live bait for walleye's. he mentioned the mayfly hatch and how walleye's will eat hatching mayfly's as they come up through the water table.

my question is then does anyone have a fly pattern for hatching mayfly's? is this what is considered a emmerger pattern?

my next question is what flies would anyone recommend for white bass? last summer they were hitting topwater something awesome. go for a popper or hopper pattern or something entirely different?
Old 01-25-2006, 02:08 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough
Default Re: walleye and or white bass flies

1: Whities love minnow patterns. They are constantly seen schooling shad at a local lake here.. We nail them on numerous minnow patterns and poppers.
2: Walleye can be caught on leech patterns, minnow patterns and large nymph patterns. I would use damsel nymphs if they are keying in on mayfly nymphs. Dont forget streamers and leech patterns as those are the "meat" of their diet.
Old 01-25-2006, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Most emerger patterns definitley are hatching mayflies. Soft hackles could work well in this case too. When trying to make your fly imitate an emerger in a still water, how you fish it can be very important. Emergers are generally taken by fish either while near the surface or as they make their way up to it. To imitate one that is moving up to the surface, after your cast let the fly sink for 15-30 seconds. Then start to retrieve it slowly, making the fly look like a bug that is swimming up to the surface.

White bass are typically caught down here on minnow patterns as well, like mike said. Clousers are very effective, as are some smaller streamers. I would just make sure the fly is mostly white, and has some weight up near the front to give it good action in the water.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:38 AM

idabelangler will become famous soon enoughidabelangler will become famous soon enough

I bet the mayfly was a Hexagenia and they were referring to those blanket Hex hatches they have up at and near the Great Lakes. These hatches are so thick they sometimes shut down highways when motorist start running over the 1000s of hexs on the highway and making the roads to slick to drive on. Lefty said he tried to fish some of these hatches for smallmouth a few times but ended up hunkering down in the boat, covering his mouth and ears and hoping he could see to drive the boat back to the docks. All a walleye would have to do is swim thru all the nymphs and open his mouth! One pass..full for the night.

For walleye I like Char, Wine, and purple bunnie flies with a dumbell eyes. For sandies I like white, yellow, and olive marabou microjigs.
Old 01-25-2006, 11:41 AM

tie one on will become famous soon enoughtie one on will become famous soon enough

Just curious as to what type of leader you are using to fish for Walleyes with all those nice sharp teeth they seem to have ?

You mentioned a Clouser Minnow, never tied one, is there a good pattern/recipe with photo available ?

Also, I have never had the experience of catching Whitefish on a fly rod, or spinning ,what's it like ? Are they "good" fighters ? I live in West Michigan & am wondering if they are in any of our rivers ? Maybe I'll try to check with the Michigan DNR ??

Thanks,

Tie One On
Old 01-25-2006, 11:51 AM

fshfanatic will become famous soon enough

Clouser Minnow

Whitebass are great fighters and taste good too.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:19 PM

idabelangler will become famous soon enoughidabelangler will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Just curious as to what type of leader you are using to fish for Walleyes with all those nice sharp teeth they seem to have ?
Just 8lb test mono.

Quote:
Whitebass are great fighters and taste good too.
Fianlly someone who shares my taste for sandies!
Old 01-25-2006, 12:27 PM

never caught a walleye or white bass on the fly. had the fortune last year to hook into some white bass while walleye fishing.(same lake is loaded with both) as far as being a fighter they put up a fight that you wouldn't believe. i'd put them them right there with smallies for fighting ability.

don't like to plug another site so sorry if i offend anyone. as for a pattern i found one at http://www.tie1on.net/ or http://flytyingworld.com/PagesD/clouser_minnow.htm.

don't know if that's what you wanted but that's some of the site's i've been using for tying patterns.
Old 01-25-2006, 12:59 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Freeze, that clouser instruction is right on, although the amount of hair they show using is way too much. I use about half that much bucktail in my clousers, unless I'm tying dark ones that I want to show up in dark conditions. Less bucktail means that a clouser will have more movement and sink faster.

I also agree that whites/sandies fight hard and taste good too!

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 01-25-2006, 01:08 PM

haven't tried to tie one yet. waiting to go to the fly fishing show. need some supplies.(barbell eyes for one) thanks for the tip about the amount of bucktail.

for one of idabelangler's post. yes the mayfly hatch was taking place in wis. or minn.

the lake this forum was started on is noted for good walleyes and a growing reputation for white bass/sandies. looking forward to hooking one or the other this year at this lake. also gonna try for pike and maybe muskie on the fly.