The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 09:30 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Sticky rubber vs. felt and studded felt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezamora View Post
consider a wading staff too.
Yeah, a wading staff is the best insurance you can have (other than common sense ) against falls.

I've used my Korkers with both studded and unstudded felt, as well as studded Aquastealth. Based upon my experience switching between the two studded soles in the San Juan/NM, I couldn't find much difference.

However, when taking a side trip one time to the Los Pinos river up in southern Colorado near Durango, the boulder-climbing in that low-flow tailwater would have broken my neck if I'd remained with the studded felts. The studs acted like ice skates. Fortunately, I had my interchangeable felt-only soles with me, which gave much better traction in those conditions.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:30 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Sticky rubber vs. felt and studded felt

I bought a pair of orvis rental boots about a month ago for 20 dollars. I refelted them and now they are like new. Maybe buy 2 pairs of felt demo boots, one for areas with bad bugs and one for other waters.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:50 AM

burns is on a distinguished road

I ordered the Simms felt w/ studs. They look sturdy, and I want durability. Plus, I'm hoping the studs will keep me from another fall. I'll buy a pair of the rubber ones with the new soles in two or three years when they are on sale and down in price.

Aside from the environmental impact, didymo is also VERY slippery.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:05 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

check out this review:

Gear Review: Are Patagonia's Riverwalker "Sticky Rubber" Wading Boots Grippy or Gimpy? | The Trout Underground Fly Fishing Blog

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 03-24-2009, 06:27 PM

Cooler00 is on a distinguished road

Good review, I like the fact that he reviewed the boots effectivness on various surfaces. Now taking into consideration the various conditions that exist, are Korkers they way to go?

Scott
Old 03-25-2009, 12:00 AM

Dr. Gonzo is on a distinguished road

I checked out Korkers at the Somerset show and I found them to be really heavy. The more expensive models were a bit lighter but overall I was not impressed with how much the Korkers weigh. Since I do a lot of hiking and backcountry fishing (and I refuse to hike in wet wading boots when not necessary) I like something lightweight that won't add too much to my pack weight. If that's a concern Korkers are not the way to go.
Old 03-25-2009, 12:22 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

ohhh, i just LOVE absolutes! chuckling.

cooler, i'm not sure what's the way to go for you since i don't know what you fish around. korkers could very well work for you. most models are synthetic material so they would dry lighter. and to say a pair of korkers is too heavy when an option might be two pairs of boots or a pair of boots and a lighter pair of sandals/shoes, i'd venture to say overall the korkers with an extra set of soles would be much lighter. it's all subject on the trail though.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:07 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I'm chucking my old felt-soled Hodgemans this weekend and going with a pair of Simms with the Vibran soles. Didymo has me concerned; I've seen it once and I don't ever want to see it again. I've also heard good things about the Patagonia Riverwalkers with the rubber soles. When I'm skiing, I'm Patagonia-clad head to toe. There's no doubt about it, they make great outdoor gear, but the Simms boots have my attention now.
Old 03-25-2009, 05:20 AM

Cooler00 is on a distinguished road

It was more of a general question, but your response above was exactly what I was considering. If someone is going to be exposed to a few different terrains/situations (either same day or different locations...) my thought was that it would be easier to be able to swap soles. Obviously a personal choice... Currently I have a cheap pair of felt's that stay local, but if I was to start traveling around I think I would like some flexibility.

Scott
Old 03-25-2009, 09:22 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocono View Post
I'm chucking my old felt-soled Hodgemans this weekend and going with a pair of Simms with the Vibran soles. Didymo has me concerned; I've seen it once and I don't ever want to see it again. I've also heard good things about the Patagonia Riverwalkers with the rubber soles. When I'm skiing, I'm Patagonia-clad head to toe. There's no doubt about it, they make great outdoor gear, but the Simms boots have my attention now.
Comparing the Patagonia and Simms soles, I like the Simms better. (based on appearance, I've not fished in either) If you compare them, the Simms sole has more points that look to me like they would do better punching through moss and such to grip the stream bottom. The Patagonia boot on the other hand has more rounded tread that would likely shed snow much better, and might wear much slower. Snow isn't really a concern here in Texico, so I'm leaning towards the Simms.

This review also might be helpful and throw another option out there. The Trout Zone: Gear Review: Chota RockLoc Boots

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.