The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2009, 09:46 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sticky rubber vs. felt and studded felt

My wife and I tried out the Simms shoes with Vibran soles/studs today and I can tell you that they're really effective on rock, slimed rock (algae covered), moss and pebbles. The studs really give a positive feel when you first make contact (no need to sort of "feel" your way with the rocks; just move forward as quickly as the current will let you do so). I think that the Vibran soles do what they're supposed to do. Stopping the possible spread of Didymo was our primary concern, but it's a real plus to now know that these soles have the quality of all-terriain traction that they do.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:30 AM

rag will become famous soon enough

Does the scrapping noise of studs on rocks spook fish?
Second, how are sheet metal screws mounted on felt soles? Are you walking on the screw heads?
Old 04-19-2009, 06:06 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag View Post
Does the scrapping noise of studs on rocks spook fish?
Second, how are sheet metal screws mounted on felt soles? Are you walking on the screw heads?
I don't know what the underwater sound is with studs on the Vibran soles, but I would think that it's no different than the sound of studs on felt soles. It's really how you wade that makes the bigger difference. If you're stepping through the water with "puddle-like" steps, then that's not a good thing and won't land you more fish. But, if you're moving your feet at a reasonable speed and keeping your legs/ankles submerged, and at the same time paying attention not to pushing ripples towards the lies that you're hunting, then I don't think there's much that's a problem with the studs.

But, to be clear, I fish mostly steep gradient freestone streams, where the pressure of the water against your legs makes wading a slow and deliberate process. My own position is that the sound of the rushing water will override the sound that my studded Vibran soles make as they go rock-to-rock. For information, I use a total of 8 studs per shoe; 5 in the ball of the foot section and 3 on the heel. That's all I seem to need.

Yes, you are walking on the heads of the studs. But, they're specially designed hexagonal heads, so it's not a matter of crusing the slots in the head of the stud.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:11 PM

rag will become famous soon enough

Thanks, that helps. I may pick up a pair of Simm's Freestones this week.
Old 04-19-2009, 08:17 PM

Rob11 will become famous soon enough

I have concerns about any sole that does not give me the purchase I need to be safe when I wade. So, I'll be the contrarian in this thread. The concern with didymo is not limited to being spread by the soles of wading boots. In fact, any equipment that comes in contact with didymo-infected water has the potential to carry the diatom's molecules.

Here's a quote from the Didymo Fact Sheet:

"How does it spread?

Unfortunately, it appears that primary carriers of didymo include fishing equipment and waders, boats, and just about anything else that has come in contact with didymo-infected water."

Here's the link: Didymo Fact Sheet

It's clear that treatment must be applied to all equipment when moving from didymo-infected water to other water. Simply using rubber-soled boots is not enough, and I'm reluctant to sacrifice my safety when wading until more is known about an effective felt substitute and an effective method to control the spread of didymo. Until then, I will treat all my gear when moving between fishing sites.