The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2009, 03:25 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Look at This Monster!!!

Click the image to open in full size.

I went to the local stream (Neshaminy Creek) this afternoon, hoping to find
some panfish activity. I was using my 8'6" Sage ZXL, and a #12 Green Weenie
on a 7.5' 4X leader. After about 15 minutes, I hooked into this guy !
He wasn't too fiesty until I had him in sight, and my Evolution reel was singing..LOL! I pulled my trout net out, but dropped it once I got a look at
his size. Instead, I just moved him into the a few inches of water, but not
until he made 4-5 runs. My boot size is 13, so you can use that as a reference. I'm guessing he was a mile long .

On the one hand, it made my week that I caught this catfish on a fly, but
on the other hand, the little bluegill I was hoping for just weren't going to
cut it after this! I've seen pods of large catfish in that stream before, but
never had any go for a fly. In fact, other than a 15" catfish I caught using a
wooly bugger last year, I never caught a catfish on a fly.

The Sage ZXL was fantastic! The wind was up and gusting, and that's a
rather hefty fish. No Problems!

P.S. The fish did have a gash near its tail. This section of Neshaminy Creek is tidal, and right near the Delaware River. Lots
of big everything roam this section, including stripers and even crabs later in the summer! BIG CRABS!
Old 03-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Look at This Monster!!!

Nice!

I once caught a 2' channel cat while swinging big black buggers at the mouth of Lycoming Creek where it meets the Susquehanna River in Pennsylvania. I thought I had a monster brown trout on because of the way it stayed deep and ran hard. Just like you when I got it in I looked at it and said "what the heck!" it made my night.

Nice catch Frank,

Ard
Old 03-18-2009, 03:43 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

Pretty neat, isn't it ? I failed to mention that the ZXL is a 4wt, and I was
very impressed with its ability to handle this fish into the shallows. There
were several boulder size rocks that the fish wanted to retreat to, but I was
able to turn him nicely. I love this rod!
Old 03-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Yeah it was cool, I've caught others in the years since then but that first one is the one I'll remember. I was using a 7' 9" Far & Fine 5wt.

I caught a really big carp that same night after setting up a triple dropper with two big hares ears and a hellgrammite nymph. It took a hares ear and believe me I was not thinking carp either. It was a mixed bag and a good time.
Old 03-18-2009, 09:25 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankB2 View Post
Pretty neat, isn't it ? I failed to mention that the ZXL is a 4wt, and I was
very impressed with its ability to handle this fish into the shallows. There
were several boulder size rocks that the fish wanted to retreat to, but I was
able to turn him nicely. I love this rod!
That is a big fish for a 4 wt. I have fished with a flyrod in catfish territory, but i have never managed to hook up with one.

Catfish is supposed to be pretty good eating in the winter, its meat is firmer than in the hot summer water. Did you eat him?
Old 03-18-2009, 09:36 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

FRANK! I fished a pond awhile back.. I made the smart A remark that "You can't catch Catfish on a Fly" (joke mind you) when BAM! I fought for what felt like 20 minutes trying to get this fish up off the bottom. It was a 20" Cat and it put an real good bend in my 6 weight...so, my hat is off to you my fiend. RIGHT ON!
Old 03-18-2009, 09:43 PM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

nice catch! I caught a few cats on prince nymphs an zug bugs. also one on a black wooley bugger.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:48 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Why did I just have a craving for Hush Puppies and Slaw?

Nice Catch, sounds like alot of fun.

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 03-19-2009, 05:42 AM

Hey Guys and Gal!

That stretch of Neshaminy Creek is big and beautiful, but I wouldn't eat anything from there. The water is gin clear, but because the Delaware River's
tide raises the stream's level 6-7' twice per day, water quality is questionable
at best. The mouth of the stream is located between a sewage plant and
HUGE landfill, and the murky waters of Philadelphia/Camden. I only fish this
stretch well into an ebb tide.

I thought it was crazy when a carp took my fly back in the mid 1980's! I did
catch one catfish on a bugger last year in a lake, but was simply annoyed
cuz we were fishing for stocked trout . You can see the little Green Weenie
still in this fish's lip, and that fly's performance has earned it a box of its own.
My first LMB last year was on a Green Weenie, and it's just a real performer
dead drifted on streams, and twitched on lakes.

When the fish was first hooked, he simply pulled against the line like an even
tug of war. When he saw me, he made several runs, and I didn't know how
that rod was going to perform (as I had seen him ). I had to work
myself about 20 feet to reach the shallow water in the pic, but enjoyed
watching him run. Too bad I didn't have one of my Orvis BBS reels on: ZING!
Old 03-19-2009, 01:17 PM

Just so nobody thinks the Neshaminy Creek is a toxic waste flow, here's a
pic of the area I fish. It's exactly 1 mile from my driveway to the parking lot
at the stream. There is a dam about one mile above the bridge in the photo,
and that is stocked trout waters. The Neshaminy Creek is roughly 45 miles
long. Fishing this stretch is like a seafood buffet: stripers, smallmouth, bluegill and rock bass that'll bend a 7'6" 4wt deep, catfish, carp, perch, snakes (big
ones too ), etc. Lots of holes, VW size boulders, and riffles further down
stream. I love fishing it, but my wife likes to drive further....?????

P.S. This picture was taken about 30 minutes after catching the catfish, and at low tide. During high tide, the water would have
been up to my nostrils .

Click the image to open in full size.