The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/)
-   -   Streamers (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/general-discussion/8480-streamers.html)

axle27 03-19-2009 10:08 AM

Streamers

Besides a Woolly Bugger, what would be some recommended streams for use in freshwater for just about anything? I don't have many streamers and I'm thinking of stocking or tying a few before my trip.

Here's my thoughts:

Mickey Finn in 6-10
Black-Nosed Dace in 6-10
Grey Ghost 4-10
Clouser in 4-6

Rip Tide 03-19-2009 10:20 AM

Re: Streamers

The Gartside softhackle streamer is as lifelike in the water as any fly could be
Easy to tie too

Tying the Soft Hackle Streamer

Also, (but a little 'outside the freshwater box') the Lefty's deciever is one of the best streamers ever...yes, even for trout

Those are the two I use most often

arfishinbear 03-19-2009 12:08 PM

I allways carry a few bucktail streamers , like silver body with green and pink wing to look like a bow, have caught bass, trout, and crappie on that one, some in brown and orange, yellow and white, black and white, olive and white, you get the ideal, just put your dark color on top and the light underneath.
Bear
P.S.
Rip Tide is correct the Lefty's deciever is a great fly, tied in diffrenet sizes its great for crappie, bass, and hybrid striper, as well as trout

glassroddr 03-19-2009 05:30 PM

There's always the muddler or marabou muddler. For brookies and bass there is also the black nosed dace size 4 to 10.

Joni 03-19-2009 05:43 PM

Rabbit and Marabou. This streamer in WHITE or BURNT ORANGE has caught More fish than anything. Tan is good also.
Then I second the Gartside.

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f1...Crayfish-1.jpg

Hardyreels 03-19-2009 06:52 PM

Hey Axel,

All the suggestions sound good. If I had to take just one pattern I'd probably take Glassrodder's Muddler Minnows. You can add weight or liquid sink and fish them deep or grease them up and fish them like a hopper / brown cricket.

I carry lots of feather wings but last year I caught the biggest rainbow of the season on a Whitlock Sculpin fished deep in swift water. You cant go wrong with something brown / white or black / white.

Ard

FISHN50 03-19-2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axle27 (Post 53261)
Besides a Woolly Bugger, what would be some recommended streams for use in freshwater for just about anything? I don't have many streamers and I'm thinking of stocking or tying a few before my trip.

Here's my thoughts:

Mickey Finn in 6-10
Black-Nosed Dace in 6-10
Grey Ghost 4-10
Clouser in 4-6

You have a pretty good list & all the suggestions are right on. I would add a Black Ghost & definitely add a few Muddlers to the list.. I personally like Featherwing & Rangely or Carrie Stevens Streamers but there are a lot of patterns around that will catch fish Go to the Streamer Page
Streamers - Raske's New England Streamer Page - Global FlyFisher . & ck it out.

axle27 03-20-2009 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FISHN50 (Post 53342)
You have a pretty good list & all the suggestions are right on. I would add a Black Ghost & definitely add a few Muddlers to the list.. I personally like Featherwing & Rangely or Carrie Stevens Streamers but there are a lot of patterns around that will catch fish Go to the Streamer Page
Streamers - Raske's New England Streamer Page - Global FlyFisher . & ck it out.

Nice, FISHN50. I've tied a few Black-nosed Dace knockoffs for a buddy of mine in AK. I'm not sure the hook size I used, they came with an assortment of tying materials I purchased from Ebay from Canada. They are rather large, tho. I don't believe I have a leader or tippet size to throw anything that size. The largest I have is 3X. As far as hooks go, All I have is some size 10 and 12 or 14, I can't remember which.

peregrines 03-20-2009 07:57 AM

You've gotten some great suggestions.

I'd basically want 2 types:
Some big stuff that pushes a lot of water like size 4 rabbit strips (with cross cut rabbit strip collar), marabou muddlers, and/or zonkers etc in black for high off-colored water

and lots of sculpin patterns in earth colors (olive tans and browns) muddlers, or woolhead sculpins etc. in smaller sizes down to 12. Sculpins are found all over in streams, especially out west, and if I had to pick one streamer pattern it would be a muddler. You can fish them dry as a hopper, fish with weight along the bottom, swing in current, rip along banks, and drop back into holes and runs by "steering" them into holding lies from upstream. It's one of those flies like buggers and soft hackles that you can't fish wrong.

mark

PS another western favorite is the Light Spruce, which has a big following like the black nosed dace has in the East.

Steelhead Junkie 04-15-2009 09:01 AM

Try a Marabou Black Ghost, lots of action in still waters.