The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 11:44 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough
Default Bead heads

What is a good way to get bead heads on #20-28 midge hooks? I lose 2 beads for every one I get on the hook!!
Old 12-21-2010, 01:56 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Re: Bead heads

This isn't failsafe, but works better than anything else I do. First it requires making a simple tool. Put a ball of beeswax on the end of a dowel (guys at our FF club talk about getting a toliet seal for the beeswax. the seals are cheap). The bead will stick to the beeswax, hole up. I put the small hook in teezers then aim for the bead. You're talking about 1/16 beads?
There are probably better ways that I'd like to hear too.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:59 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Very carefully.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:55 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I use tweezers made for beads. They have a depression in them that holds the bead in place without a lot of undo pressure. With the beads in a tray it's easy to spot and pick the beads that are oriented with the countersunk hole up.
I then set the bead on the hook which is in the vise gripped by the shank and held hook point up. With the hook point up, the bead stays put until driven home past the barb or barb nub.
I small piece of short napped carpet under the vice helps keep the bead that inevidably falls from travelling very far... most of the time.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:18 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
I use tweezers made for beads. They have a depression in them that holds the bead in place without a lot of undo pressure. With the beads in a tray it's easy to spot and pick the beads that are oriented with the countersunk hole up.
I then set the bead on the hook which is in the vise gripped by the shank and held hook point up. With the hook point up, the bead stays put until driven home past the barb or barb nub.
I small piece of short napped carpet under the vice helps keep the bead that inevidably falls from travelling very far... most of the time.
I use the tweezers also, you can get them at a craft store or one of the many tying catalogs out on the market. I like your idea about the carpet piece Jackster...

Dan
Old 12-21-2010, 08:22 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Get a little spit on your finger that holds the bead. Just one finger. It's worked for me with the micro glass beads.
Old 12-21-2010, 08:51 AM

patyer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Get a little spit on your finger that holds the bead. Just one finger. It's worked for me with the micro glass beads.
Thats what I do.
Old 12-21-2010, 12:26 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Great ideas, all! I'm gonna get one of those special tweezers for the tiny glass beads!
Old 12-21-2010, 01:33 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice

I use the Cabela's "Beadzer" - it is a reverse flex tweezer with the deprressions in both sides of the tips. This way it holds the bead without you having to put pressure on the tweezer handle - squeeze it to grasp the bead, then let the natural spring pressure of the "beadzer" hold the bead while you align with the hook point.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:10 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I tweaked the tweezers a bit to get the 1 and 1.5mm beads at the very end of the tweezer by grinding some of the excess meat off of the tips. I get a far better view of the bead now because of that.