The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 09:49 AM

morphius will become famous soon enough
Default okuma slv setting up help

I was wondering how much backing I should put on an okuma slv 8/9 fly reel since the reccomendation online for it are as follows: WF-8, 150yds / 30lbs
. I will be going for bass, pike musky, steelhead, salmon and lake run brown trout. Thanks for your advice
Old 12-21-2010, 11:35 AM

raindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud ofraindogt has much to be proud of
Default Re: okuma slv setting up help

I think I'd follow Okuma's specs. Sounds like you could put 150 yds. on there.

One sure fire way to get it right (though it will take a few steps) is to spool it all up reverse of what you will fish with-- i.e.- wf line with the head first (dt line won't matter much which way you spool it), the backing to the outside,tie the backing on (typically use an albright knot.) Spool backing on untill you get it where you want-- (I try not to 'crowd' the edge of the reel). This is where the extra steps come in: un-spool it all, (remember you have the line on the bottom), and respool it with the backing on first.

Does this make any sense? I'm not being very concise today, sorry.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:52 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I own a few SLV reels, and they hold a ton of backing. Get the 150 yards put on, and reduce the amount if it's too much.
Old 12-21-2010, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi morphius,

The answer is to put on as much as it will hold. If you don't think 150 yards is enough you can use one of the backings made from Spectra or any like Gel-Spun.

Frank
Old 12-21-2010, 11:47 PM

nerka will become famous soon enoughnerka will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi morphius,

The answer is to put on as much as it will hold. If you don't think 150 yards is enough you can use one of the backings made from Spectra or any like Gel-Spun.

Frank
I would agree. Put as much on it as it will hold without it being able to pinch between the spool and reel frame.
I own this exact reel and while it probably isnt a bad value, be careful about dropping it etc. It is stamped and not machined. I barely touched mine to some pavement and it put a pinch in the reel frame against the spool. Thankfully some quick work with a leatherman bent it back in place.

This is my backup reel in that size class. I am running it with 200 yds of 45lb tuffline braid and a 9wt full sink line.