The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2009, 07:57 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold
Default Wading Staff

There have been a few posts about wading shoes, studded vs nonstudded, felt vs Aquastealth & combination's of each. What about Wading staffs... Whenever I go into the river I carry a collapsible wading staff on my belt & it's saved me from a dunking quite a few times. How many of you carry a wading staff & what kind do you use ???
Old 03-20-2009, 08:24 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wading Staff

90% of the time during the year, I carry a Folstaf
I like it because it stays in the holster until I need it
Cheap insurance

So far this season, all my fishing has been wading for pike in very murky water.
There's a need for a staff at all times, not just occasionally, and I've been using the same ski pole that I use for hiking.
Why the cheap pole and not the more expensive one ?
Old 03-20-2009, 08:43 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

I bought a Folstaf 5 years ago and wouldnt consider wading a river without it now.Its amazing how helpful a staff is.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:00 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Due to balance and other little deals like that I have to use a staff. I started out with a telescoping hiking staff, it collapsed when need most. Went to streamside sticks which weren't always handy mid-stream when I found myself in trouble and so bought an el cheapo collapsable from Mr. Big Box Store which actually served me quite well for a few years. My bride bought me a beefy Folstaff and I think that's where I'll stay!
I tried the Simms but found it too long when collapsed and awkward when wading with it stashed. I'm probably just spoiled by the size of staff I've grown used to plus the fact the Foltaff is right there with a flick of the wrist.
A staff helps as does wading pants. They keep this klutz from pushing the limits.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:23 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

+1 on the Folstaff... the only thing worse than no staff in some situations is a cheap staff... there's nothing like having a staff vibrating in your hand from the pressure of the current to dial up the pucker factor an extra notch ... seriously! +1 on the pants too - most of the time you don't need the extra height, and if you do... well, sometimes it's best to limit your options.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 03-21-2009, 05:25 AM

glassroddr has a spectacular aura aboutglassroddr has a spectacular aura about

I have been using a Folstaff for about 20 years and it's still holding up very well. I would not wade without a staff. I am not getting younger and my rock-hopping days are behind me. I think it is an important piece of safety equipment, same as a pfd in a watercraft.

Marc.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:43 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Ok I have thinking about gettting a wading staff. For those of you using the Folstaff are you using the 1/2" model or the 3/4" model?

Larry
Old 03-21-2009, 08:19 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I use a fishpond staff. It's light and floats so it doesn't tire me out. I'm afraid that if I went to a Folstaff I'll often wade without using it, and then I might take a fall. (I've taken two already because I wasn't using my staff, though I had it with me.)

I like a staff that is as high as my arm pit.

Randy
Old 03-21-2009, 09:21 AM

Blaze is on a distinguished road

I've never been so happy to have my wading staff as I was on Wednesday.
I have a "Dick's" cheaper version of the Folstaf. The quality isn't that great, but seeing as I dunked over the head twice by stepping into unseen holes I was happy to be able to bust it out and probe the bed for the rest of the day.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:41 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
I'm afraid that if I went to a Folstaff I'll often wade without using it
This I don't quite understand. The Folstaff rests unobtrusively on your belt in its holster, when needed a flick of the wrist sets it up. Once up you can just let it float in the current next to you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyflycaster View Post
I like a staff that is as high as my arm pit.
Randy
The Folstaff comes in 41", 50" or 59" lengths and two different diameters.