The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2009, 09:49 PM
MikeyBob365 will become famous soon enough
Default fly rod building kit

so the other day i found out bobby(my grandpa) has prostate cancer. the man is probably the most interesting guy i know, and i always love to hear his stories! the one thing we both have in common is we love to fish(only grandchild he has that is interested)! once i got into fly fishing he said we were gonna get some bamboo and make a pole ourselves!

so i was thinking, the man has passed up the average life expectancy for an american, he's been fighting to live since he was around ten (one of the oldest out of 13 in his family so he was kicked out so money for food could go to the youngsters), served in korea and is petrified from his memories. so i was thinking he deserves something real nice, but also some quality time with a grandchild that really appreciates the lessons he teaches! so i would like to get two real nice rod building kits, one for the each of us. of course at a nice price to!

when we use these we will be going after largemouth bass, and once its winter, guadeloupe trout - so i'm figuring a 4, 5, or 6 wt shall do. so if you know of any real good building kits, please send me a link!

thanks in advance,
Michael
Old 03-22-2009, 07:49 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fly rod building kit

Mike

I've built rods from Orvis kits but that was back in the 80's, I don't think they sell rod building supplies anymore. One web site that sells rod building kits and supplies is Mud Hole. Mud Hole Custom Tackle -- The World's Largest Rod Building Supplier
We have several folks here that also build rods so hopefully they will chime in. You might also do a forum search and google search for rod building forums, I know they exist because they have been mentioned here before.
You might also PM a forum member named MoJo as he knows a lot about rod building. Good luck with your quest!

Larry
Old 03-22-2009, 08:22 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Hook & Hackle are the folks you want to deal with.
This 5/6 kit is on sale for $75 but they have a lot of other good deals

Hook & Hackle Classic Series Fly Rod / 5/6 Wt.-Hook and Hackle
Old 03-22-2009, 08:30 AM

boone is on a distinguished road

Hey mikeybob. Sorry to hear about your grandpa.

I have built two rods. (both 2wts) Both times i used the cabellas premium flyrod kit. It is about 112$ delivered to your door and it is a great kit. The blanks are responsive and have a slower action which i like. The kit comes with everything you need for your rod and enough materials (thread epoxy flex coat etc) to do probably 2 or 3 rods. Go to this link...

Fly Anglers OnLine, Your Complete Internet Flyfishing Resource.

They have some great info on rod building. Its a 12 pages series its just under the rod building heading on the left of the page, then click graphite rod building. Here is a pic of the first one i wrapped. Its a crappy cell phone pic but you get the idea. Let me know if you have other questions.
Click the image to open in full size.
P.S. ezamora on this board helped me out a lot.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:44 PM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyBob365 View Post
so the other day i found out bobby(my grandpa) has prostate cancer. the man is probably the most interesting guy i know, and i always love to hear his stories! the one thing we both have in common is we love to fish(only grandchild he has that is interested)! once i got into fly fishing he said we were gonna get some bamboo and make a pole ourselves!

so i was thinking, the man has passed up the average life expectancy for an american, he's been fighting to live since he was around ten (one of the oldest out of 13 in his family so he was kicked out so money for food could go to the youngsters), served in korea and is petrified from his memories. so i was thinking he deserves something real nice, but also some quality time with a grandchild that really appreciates the lessons he teaches! so i would like to get two real nice rod building kits, one for the each of us. of course at a nice price to!

when we use these we will be going after largemouth bass, and once its winter, guadeloupe trout - so i'm figuring a 4, 5, or 6 wt shall do. so if you know of any real good building kits, please send me a link!

thanks in advance,
Michael
Tell your grandfather not to give up on himself. Prostate cancer is the most common type of cancer in men. I was diagnosed with 2nd stage Prostate cancer back in October. My gleason score was 9.5 & the first Urologist I went to gave me a very depressing prognosis. I am now under the care of a Cancer center & undergoing radiation with a very good prognosis.. If your grandfather or you, or anyone else want to talk about it PM me.. A support network is vital.

Anyway I've dealt with HOOK & HACKLE many times in the past & they have quality merchandise with a good service policy & they have a good blog about rod building on their website. I don't know much about Dimondback cane rods but like I said H&H has a good service policy. If the price of the blank there is too steep you might look at E-Bay, they always have some listed Hook & Hackle Fly Fishing Tackle, Fly Fishing Supplies, Fly Tying Supplies and Fly Rod Building Supplies
It's very important for you to keep your grandfathers spirits up, it will make what he has to deal with so much easier. My granddaughter keeps me going thru the rough times of my illness & that is the most important thing. Like I said prostate Cancer is both treatable & curable so chin up.

Neil
Old 03-22-2009, 01:28 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

I've used Hook and Hackle for many years. They're good people to work with, their products are outstanding, and there's technical help if you need it.
I, too, would recommend the rod building suggestions on Fly Anglers on Line, both under the menu on the home page, and in the forums under rod building. You can also ask any questions you would have, and there are some mighty talented people there to help out.

Also, don't count your grandpa out yet! As fishn50 has said, there are treatments available now that will enable him to live a full, long life ... and take you fishing, or visa versa!, for years and years to come!!
Old 03-22-2009, 11:33 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

thanks boone...

michael, good luck with the cancer. my dad had it last year and he opted for the surgery route. everything's looking good now. my best wishes for your grandfather.

now, for rodbuilding, you mentioned a bamboo rod. do you want to make a couple of bamboo rods or graphite?

for graphite, hook and hackle is good for kits and great prices on many other items but personally, i find prepackaged "kits" leave a lot to be desired. mainly because i have perused many catalogs and know what options are out there (get ahold of pacific bay, struble, anglers workshop, batson enterprises and even hook and hackle's catalogs, they're free for the asking). i like the idea of choosing a non-standard but great quality reel seat, guides, thread wrap colors, etc. kits are just so standard for my tastes and if you want something special piece something together with the help of a vendor who specializes in rod building components. tell them what type of fishing you intend to do and what your budget is and they can piece something together. from what i've read, cabelas may not fall under that category for custom service. but i'm going by what i've read. i can send a list to you privately to help out but if you already KNOW what you want cabelas can help. and yeah, if you want to make it easy, just get a cabelas kit, it would work fine but i would push for hook and hackle. they often offer great deals especially if you go through their online ordering process (15% discount?).

eric
fresno, ca.