The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 08:06 AM

frntrnge is on a distinguished road
Default Finally First Trout!

Merry Christmas everyone!
You all helped me with some good advice back at the end of summer for getting started into flyfishing.
Busy schedule this fall with school but yesterday caught my first fish on a fly....2 Rainbows. I have caught probably hundreds on my ugly stick spin combo over the years, and many of them bigger than the 2 yesterday. But this was the most fun I have EVER had fishing....such a rush and much more satisfying.
Hopefully the snow will continue to stay up in the mts and I can get out again next week.
Of course, I didn't think to bring a camera to capture the moment, but I'll rememer it forever.
Thanks everyone for helping me get off on the right foot. I'm learning a whole lot by following your posts on here.
Enjoy the holidays and Happy New Year, as well!
-Rob
Old 12-22-2010, 08:14 AM

dang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nicedang old king is just really nice
Default Re: Finally First Trout!

Good for you frontrange.. You'll never forget them.
Are you in colorado?
Old 12-22-2010, 09:17 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Rob: Congrats on your first trout on a fly rod! That is truely a memorable moment that will last a lifetime!

Larry

Old 12-22-2010, 09:30 AM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Outstanding!! You may find it difficult to justify picking up the ugly stick for trout again. Not that the fly rod is more productive, just that somehow, for me at least, the time and experience of fly fishing is more valuable, deeper and more satisfying.

First of many I'm sure. Happy holidays!
Old 12-22-2010, 10:05 AM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

Rob- Contrats on your first fly rod trout. I agree it is much more satisfying and in my experience much more productive to boot. You will never forget those two fish.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:17 AM

frntrnge is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dang old king View Post
Good for you frontrange.. You'll never forget them.
Are you in colorado?
I agree...lots of fun still ahead.
Yep....in Colorado...near Co Springs.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:22 AM

twfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the roughtwfitw is a jewel in the rough

What a great Christmas present! It reminds me of my first fish this season... no more than 6" but man it was awesome! Keep it up!
Old 12-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats...no need to have a camera...that fish will be in your mind forever
Old 12-22-2010, 05:52 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Congrats Rob! Sounds like Santa thought you were good this year.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 12-22-2010, 09:33 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Congratulations Rob. The addiction begins......

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...