The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 11:11 AM

Teamanglerx will become famous soon enough
Default Need A Size Comparision

This weekend I caught one of the biggest trout of my life, a 18" brook trout. The length does not accurately descibe him because he was so think I couldn't get my hands around him. Several people have told me that this is the equal to catching a 5 lb bass but they said it may be a larger comparision since it was a brook trout. I read about browns being caught in this size range all the time but is this exceptionally large for a brook?
Old 03-22-2009, 12:28 PM

Farnsrocket is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need A Size Comparision

Sounds huge! Got any pics?
Old 03-22-2009, 12:29 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

We were catching brookies out of twin bear lakes in the RMNP on year along time ago and I caught one that was 14" and one of the guys carried on for two days how big that was, so yeah I would say that an 18" is a hell of a brooktrout man
Bear
Old 03-22-2009, 01:01 PM

Troutseeker is on a distinguished road

Congratulations that is a big brook trout. I have caught some in the 14-18" range but not many. It really depends on the area your fishing. For example you might here about people fishing in Labrador for big brook trout, and if you click on the link you can see some examples of big brookies (and some salmon in there to).

: Fishing Pics Fishing -2007

There are all sorts of HUGE brook trout pics from there but I just thought I would give an example. For the most part it depends on the fishery and the chance that the spot your fishing has a big old brookie in it. They range from quite small to very big. There are places around where I live that you can catch them in the 8" range and some places in the 10-12" but that depends on some things like fishing pressure. I hope that helps out somewhat. All depends on where you live and what the average size is there but I am not sure how you could find that out maybe the Department of Natural Resources (at least that is what we call it in Canada) will have some information about your area.

Again congrats
Jeff
Old 03-22-2009, 01:19 PM

Teamanglerx will become famous soon enough

I wish I had a pic. Camera died when we went to take the picture (I caught him at the end of the day). The stream we were fishing on is a special regulation stream in Iowa. My buddy caught a 17.5" brown near the same spot earlier in the day. I saw this fish and worked at him earlier in the day with no luck. We came back later and it was litterally the perfect cast. The fish was in a Y of a fallen branch with his head in the Y. I landed my 6th cast 5" in front of him. He didn't hesitate on it and he was hooked. Once hooked he tried to immediately dive into the tree so I had to work him out of it several times. After 5 tense minutes I finally got him to some open water and played him out. My buddy did get a picture of me fighting him and we were able to put a tape on him so the 18" is accurate. I have caught brookies before in this stream in the 10"-12" range but this is a whopper.