The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2009, 11:31 AM

sonicimpulse is on a distinguished road
Default Drifting in boat with fly rod.

I was wondering if anyone had any experience drifting in a boat with fly rod for Pike or Bass? If so whats the best setup for this? Seeking fly line, Floating fly line, sinking tips, etc.

Any help on this issue would be great.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:44 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Drifting in boat with fly rod.

Hi sonicimpulse,

I see you haven't got any feed back on your question. It may be that your question was not specific enough. When you say drifting are you letting the wind drift you across a lake? Are you drifting with the currant in a river? Is the water 3', 10', or 30'. The conditions and the size of fish will impact your technique. There is a big difference between catching 20" Pike and 40" Pike. Same with Bass. Are all your Bass under 3lbs or up to 7 to 10 pounds.

So please describe what you are attempting to accomplish and I am sure we can help you out.

Frank
Old 03-23-2009, 01:18 PM

I'm going to be letting the wind carry the boat across a lake. Most of the time I'm going to estimate I need to be around 12 feet down on average. I have a 5wt 9ft St Croix rod. I'm hoping this rod allows a good fight when I hook into the Large Mouth Bass and Pike. Most pike around the 25 inch range some get to be 35 inches.

I did some research on this and it looks like I should use a 9 foot leader. The line I'm looking at purchasing is Scientific Anglers Mastery™ Uniform Sink Plus Fly Line - Type III.

Any pointers would be great.
Old 03-24-2009, 09:28 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

If you're going to use a sinking line there is no need for a 9' leader...I'm guessing you'll be using clousers or something similar.

Dan
Old 03-25-2009, 09:24 PM

Yes clousers and Pike flies. What length leader do you recommend?
Old 03-26-2009, 09:21 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

When I use my sink tip I don't go much over 4 foot.

Dan
Old 03-26-2009, 10:08 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I like the full sinking line myself, and I would also recommend a drift sock (sea anchor).
These are very useful to slow your drift when the wind is up.
Store-bought come in different sizes, depending on the size of your boat.
For my canoe I have a home-made one from a 5 gal bucket.
I replaced the handle/bale with line that is attached in 4 'corners'
This holds the bucket 'open' better than the 2 point connection you'd have if you just use the handle.
Sorry.....not a good description
here's a picture of a store-bought

Click the image to open in full size.