The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussions regarding fly fishing as a whole. Ask questions. Get answers...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2009, 05:49 PM

dmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura aboutdmwphoto has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: TFO Signature Series rods????

try an Orvis TLS series in a Tip flex 9.5. Mine is 5 wt and just incredible to cast. I broke the tip yesterday being stupid. They fix em free for 25 years no matter how dumb ya are.
I'm just sayin....

To me, the journey of learning is almost more fun than arriving at the destination of knowing.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:32 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

well that's odd, pavel, i'm going by the web site. are there new rods available or are we talking about different rods here?

Temple Fork Outfitters Lefty Kreh Signature Series Fly Rods

TFO calls them medium-fast, but the professional lineup is more of a medium fast in my hands than the signature series. still, it's all subjective.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 03-25-2009, 08:50 AM

Pavel will become famous soon enough

That website only shows the TFO rods that are available to the USA. For some reason in Canada the Signature series is available in the 4 piece:
S P R I N G B R O O K
Go to this link and click on TFO in the first drop down list, then in the second drop down list you will see half way down Signature series in a 2 piece and 4 piece. I ended up talking to a TFO rep who stated that the 4 piece model(Signature Series) is close to being like the professional series rod that is available in the USA but not in Canada. 2 piece is medium action and 4 piece Signature is a medium-fast action. Hope this clears things up for you.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:26 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi to all,

I think I will stick to recommended rods available in America to Americans. The TFO Signature rods may be a very desirable rod in 5wt but it just isn't my choice for an 8wt.

Frank
Old 03-25-2009, 02:39 PM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

funny. "that website" IS temple fork outfitters.

here's something from springbrook's web site:

NOTICE: Effective January 1st, 2009 Temple Fork Outfitters warranty fee will increase to $30.00.
If you have a broken rod and need to send it in for warranty follow these steps:
1. Send in the ferrule from the broken rod section so we can match up the replacement parts. Take the broken rod section and with a pair of pliers (about 4 or 5 inches above the ferrule) compress the rod to flatten it and break that piece with the ferrule off of the broken rod section. If the entire rod is broken, send in the ferrules from both sections. Please take caution and wear protective eyewear as graphite can splinter.

2. Send the ferrule(s) in a small padded envelope (pre-paid freight, insured) to us at:
Springbrook Manufacturing
3809 9th Street SE
Calgary, Alberta T2G 3C7

i'm wondering what exactly is the connection between springbrook and TFO. the warranty at TFO remains at $25. i'd rather deal directly with the original company than deal through a middleman for slightly more and probably longer wait. of course if i lived in canada, things might be different.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 03-28-2009, 08:44 PM

Laurel Fork is on a distinguished road

I had a 9ft 5wt TFO Signature Series rod given to me which I sold because it felt heavy and seemed to have too much "bounce" in the tip when casting. I also did not care for the oversized stripping guide on the rod. I'm not familiar with the higher line weight rods in the series however.
Old 03-29-2009, 02:47 AM

for those interested, i contacted TFO by email. here is the response:

Springbrook LTD is the parent company that owns TFO, Backcountry Laboratories, Mangrove, and a few more entities. There are two divisions of Springbrook in the world. The world headquarters is here in Dallas, Texas. The other much smaller division is in Calgary. The US division supplies products to everyone in the world - except Canada.
The 4 piece Signature Series rods available in Canada are NOT the same as the Signature Series rods available in the US. They are a completely different series, and are more closely related to the action of our Professional Series rods.

Springbrook Ca has a number of rods that are available ONLY in Canada - apparently they do some different types of fishing that people in other parts of the world do not practice. Springbrook Ca has designed unique rods specifically for the Canadian dealers. As a result, many of the rods purchased through Springbrook Canada can only be warrantied through there. We do not carry the same rods and/or parts here in the US. We do receive a couple of Canadian rods each year for repair and have to send them to Calgary for attention.
Sorry for any confusion. Please let me know of you have any additional questions or concerns. Tight lines!

Brandon

-- Brandon Powers
Temple Fork Outfitters
8105 Sovereign Row
Dallas, Texas 75247-4711
(800)638-9052